• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian restaurant in Iselin

Mano

What's the best non-buffet Indian restaurant in Iselin?

We're staying for two days and a EG search came up with the repeated recommendation that pretty much all the Indian places were worthwhile. Oak Tree Rd, was mentioned as a mecca but I'd like specific places.

thanks

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

• 1 month later...

Mano,

Hope its not too late.

It depends on what you are looking for.

I recommend Dimples for vegetarian dishes and street snacks (a must try). Recommend the Kachori chaat, frankie, and dry fruit falooda to drink.

For Pakistani, cross the street and go to Shalimar. They offer fresh tandoori chicken, kebabs, fish and even a variety of curries and occasionally some "exotic" items like lamb/goat brains.

There are also some Indo-Chinese restaurants.

The best advice I can give you is walk around, poke your head in, see the menu/board and if it looks interesting grab a seat.

Don't forget to try some Indian tea and Paan.

We ended up at Sunshine Palace 490 State Route 27, which is anything but palatial. It's a hole-in-the-wall mostly take-out place with four or five tables and very good food. We were the only dine-in customers but locals came and went with their orders.

I know very little about Indian food but what we ordered had good heat from various spices and the server helped guide us from making big mistakes.

We got goat kadahi, lamb masala (I think), onion naan and biryani. Enough for four.

We gave serious thought to returning for lunch the next day.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

• 4 weeks later...

On the topic of Indian restaurants in this general area, is anyone familiar with Nanking in South Plainfield? http://www.nankingnj.com/index.html

A few Indian friends in our neighborhood are planning an excursion there soon and I wanted to get a heads up as to menu choices. My one friend says this place is an excellent example of Indo-Chinese but the webpage indicates Chinese and Thai cusine??