• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: FrogPrincesse (2011) - From tartines to tikis

It feels SO good to be back at home after a tough day at work, and to enjoy this wonderful cocktail.

5914456592_407327ddc5.jpg

This is a Trader Vic's Mai Tai, with the orgeat I made the other day. I used my favorite rum combination (La Favorite Coeur de Rhum + Appleton 12 year). The homemade orgeat takes it to another level.

Life is good again. :smile:

With our cocktails, we had French-style pupus.

5913905005_02a6341ea7_z.jpg

Barely Buzzed cheese from Beehive, rubbed with coffee and lavender buds

Toma from Point Reyes

Sungold cherry heirloom tomatoes (from last week's CSA, but still delicious!)

Then, a tartine of homemade ricotta, with fleur de sel, mint, and saba.

5914465912_f127e7ca55_z.jpg

While tonight's dinner is still cooking, here are some pictures of the making of the ricotta last night.

(My husband calls this another white blob story, after the fromage blanc, raita, and orgeat! :blink: )

Heating whole milk with citric acid and kosher salt to 185F - 195F

5911245523_a2b82ec1b4_z.jpg

It has reached its temperature. Notice the tiny little curds.

It's time for a 10-minute rest.

5911820230_99ae0091d4_z.jpg

After the resting period, it needs to be drained for about 20 minutes.

5911263465_e52e081451_z.jpg

It looks dry enough for me (I like it still very creamy)

5911268675_1f20f268c5_z.jpg

It's done!

5911829252_efb6029615_z.jpg

Here are some pictures of the original kitchen, per FauxPas' request.

The wall you see behind the oven no longer exists.

2053076835_97cdfadbaf_o.jpg

2053077065_0ff32da561_o.jpg

The remodel.

This photo, like the other recent photos, was taken standing where the wall used to be.

The framed area is now a bathroom.

2053078545_df9808948a_z.jpg

For our dinner tonight, we picked up a couple of dry-aged prime rib eye steaks from Siesel's, our favorite butcher shop. They're always really friendly there and take care of all my "strange" requests for unusual cuts of meats without giving me a hard time.

The shop is not huge but it carries a good selection, including the local breads from Bread & Cie, Stone beer, and El Indio chips, which is really convenient for us. They also have a deli and a small produce section.

5914035779_f06f9621ce_z.jpg

Beef

5914036769_cfe7ee2ff0_z.jpg

Pork

5914597984_114405c721_z.jpg

Bacon & sausage section

5914598454_44ec9eb279_z.jpg

Before coming home, we also stopped by Specialty Produce to pick up our farmers' market bag. I have to explain that I realized this morning with horror and complete embarrassement that, with the excitement of the blog, I had completely forgotten to order my bag last Sunday. But they were nice enough to let me get one of their spare bags when I explained my situation.

This is what we received this week. Our daugther started devouring the plums almost immediately.

5914038239_8fcb00f6da_z.jpg

For tonight's dinner, I made a piperade inspired by the tomatoes, bell peppers, and garlic in the basket.

After frying some onions at low temperature, I added the sliced garlic, some salt, and a good amount of Espelette pepper.

5914920990_1c12ce0728_z.jpg

After a few minutes, I added the chopped bell peppers and tomatoes, and let them cook at low heat until they became soft (about an hour).

5914361447_680afae59c_z.jpg

I seasoned the steaks with olive oil, salt, pepper and herbes de Provence, and let them reach room temperature.

5914362663_01ed0589e1_z.jpg

I used a modified version of Alton Brown's method to cook them. I warmed a cast iron skillet in the oven for at least 30 minutes (longer is better) at high temperature, and cooked the steaks for 1 to 2 minutes per side for rare (me) to medium rare (him). It works because I had the steaks cut fairly thin (at least by American standards).

5914922922_36ea7ba929_z.jpg

As promised, here is the rest of the kitchen tour.

Our tiki drink station

5910955979_5e10f501db_z.jpg

The bar

(There is some overflow in the other cabinets)

5910955339_6b16089ef5_z.jpg

The tea and coffee station

5910955629_6b4f419948_z.jpg

The Kitchenaid and a few of our dishes

5910954685_3dbc6303f6_z.jpg

The pantry, which is in the hallway in the back of the kitchen

5911516168_daa958c906_z.jpg

Loved that Barely Buzzed from Beehive - chocolot brought me some when she came for the chocolate conference - she is good friends with the cheesemaker. I was fortunate indeed - wish I could get it here.

Loved all those other pupus!

Loved that Barely Buzzed from Beehive - chocolot brought me some when she came for the chocolate conference - she is good friends with the cheesemaker. I was fortunate indeed - wish I could get it here.

Loved all those other pupus!

We really liked the cheese! The idea of a cheddar with coffee & lavender buds sounds strange on paper, but it really works.

I started making this brioche a couple of days ago.

Here is the process, based on Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Here are the ingredients. Normally, I would use honey from one of the vendors at the farmers' market, but I had run out.

5911248387_9c725f09c6_z.jpg

The flour is added to a mixture containing lukewarm water, salt, yeast, eggs, honey, and melted butter. Yes, I measure the flour by volume, and this is only because this recipe does not need to be precise. The water content can always be adjusted to obtain the right consistency, which is supposed to be fairly loose. Otherwise I always use a scale for baking recipes.

5911810412_8132c32570_z.jpg

I use my handheld mixer to make sure that all the flour is incorporated. The mixture does not have to be perfect, and this should take less than a minute (no kneading, just mixing!).

5911813234_d331320379_z.jpg

I finish by mixing the edges with a rubber spatula.

Here is what it looks like, before the first rise.

5911817256_e3fb69d7c6_z.jpg

I use the proofing function on my oven. For dense batters, the setting is 125F.

Here is what it looks like after the first rise, which takes about an hour.

5911265863_bbafc26f2b_z.jpg

At that point, it went in the fridge until the next day.

Corrected typo

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

That looks incredibly easy.

I love brioche and my recipe also requires resting in the fridge overnight. Much more flavor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On the second day (yesterday), when I took the dough out of the fridge, it had deflated a little.

5914921636_bc6b0ff835.jpg

I sprinkled some flour so the dough would not stick, lifted it out of the container, and cut off a large piece.

5914361905_af3681b7ae_z.jpg

5914922228_5585cd5e19_z.jpg

Then I formed the loaf and put it in the buttered pan.

5914362415_d295cba4cf_z.jpg

It went in the oven again for its second rise.

That looks incredibly easy.

I love brioche and my recipe also requires resting in the fridge overnight. Much more flavor.

It is indeed very simple and requires very little active time, just some planning.

It's also my experience that the flavor improves if the dough stays in the fridge for a few days before baking.

After the final proofing step, I brushed the dough with an egg wash before it went in the oven.

5914970944_8677b03de3_z.jpg

35 minutes later, the brioche was finally ready and the house smelled wonderful !

5914411521_8128fba436_z.jpg

For some reason, it cracked a little more than usual.

Naturally it cracked! It knew you were going to take a photo.....

Actually it looks like it is smiling. I can practically smell it.

I'm not going to bake brioche today but I am going to bake a loaf of bread from some ready-made mixes I have to use up.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hmmm...I might have to get that book, I loves me some brioche toast for breakfast! Your kitchen is amazing. It's what I want to have when I grow up! And I like the concept of different produce from different farms for your CSA...ours are usually one farm exclusively so sometimes it's hard to get the kind of variety you want without doing two different baskets per week, which can get mighty expensive.

I love Barely Buzzed too...one of my favorite flavored cheeses.

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Your French style pupus were inspiring. Do you make your own baguettes as well? Also, I googled "saba" that you drizzled on the ricotta and did not come up with anything that made sense- can you elaborate?

As others have noted, you are inspiring me to attempt some simple soft cheeses.

I really really like the roll up doors on your storage areas. I detest clutter and will keep this in mind for a future kitchen idea.

Your brioche is lovely. My sole venture was with a James Beard recipe in the December 1979 issue of Bon Appetit that us very similar to the one you used but does not call for the aging of the dough. It was Saucisson en Brioche and I made it constantly for a number of years. I use the basic 5 minute concept for a simple loaf but would like to venture out. "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" has moved high up in my wish list.

Your French style pupus were inspiring. Do you make your own baguettes as well? Also, I googled "saba" that you drizzled on the ricotta and did not come up with anything that made sense- can you elaborate?

As others have noted, you are inspiring me to attempt some simple soft cheeses.

I really really like the roll up doors on your storage areas. I detest clutter and will keep this in mind for a future kitchen idea.

Your brioche is lovely. My sole venture was with a James Beard recipe in the December 1979 issue of Bon Appetit that us very similar to the one you used but does not call for the aging of the dough. It was Saucisson en Brioche and I made it constantly for a number of years. I use the basic 5 minute concept for a simple loaf but would like to venture out. "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" has moved high up in my wish list.

Heidi,

I wish I did but I don't make my own baguettes. I make rustic no-knead breads that I cook in a cast iron dutch oven (Le Creuset), but obviously that would not work very well for baguettes. The bread for the ricotta tartine was from Bread & Cie, a local bakery (more on them later).

Saba is cooked grape must. It's rather sweet, and was used traditionally as a sweetener when sugar was more scarce. It's very good drizzled on a bitter salad such as treviso. It's called for in a few recipes in several books that I own, including Sunday Suppers at Lucques by Suzanne Goin, and Babbo by Mario Batali.

It took me a while to find a place that carried it. I finally found it at the little store at Mozza (mozza2go), Batali's restaurant on Melrose in LA.

Here is an article on saba that was published in the New York Times.

Here is a picture of the bottle I have at home.

5917013150_bfc8726296_z.jpg

That Saucisson en Brioche sounds amazing! If you make it again, please post pictures on eGullet!

"Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" is worth looking into. So far I've only ventured into the peasant loaf and enriched bread sections, but the flatbreads are on my list too. Their website has a ton of information too, in addition to the excellent eGullet thread.