• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn season 2011

Fat Guy

We had some of the first local corn in Connecticut over the weekend. It was quite good, but will be better in August.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

About 10 years ago I used to drive by farm stands in northern IL where I could buy a dozen ears of corn for a dollar. Now it costs 50 cents an ear. How prices have changed!

Given my current love affair of cream of xyz soups, I made the cream of fresh corn soup from Peterson's soup book. I grilled the corn to give it a smokey flavor. Next time, I will leave out the jalapeno and use a chipotle pepper.

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

My wife recently ordered a pizza that had corn and fresh jalapenos. I tasted it and enjoyed the balance of the sugar and heat.

Never even heard of such a thing. Give us at least a hint of where you live, please.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

SobaAddict70, I got my new issue of Bon Appetit today and in it is a recipe for Otto's corn gelato. Is it really that good? As much as I love corn, I'm having a hard time imagining corn gelato, although the idea does intrigue me.

My wife recently ordered a pizza that had corn and fresh jalapenos. I tasted it and enjoyed the balance of the sugar and heat.

Never even heard of such a thing. Give us at least a hint of where you live, please.

Rural Pennsylvania, approximately 125 miles west of Philadelphia.

Is there a use for the fresh corn husks? Can they be used like dried ones for tamales?

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Creamed corn with tarragon, from Ed Schneider via the NYT Dining blog. I wait all winter and spring to make this, and then I make it as frequently as possible.

This was really good! Was easy to use this as a base and experiment. wanted to keep very simple like this is. i added smoky bacon...good flavor but didnt need more texture. wife added just cayenne and was good with the sweet. doesnt take much to fill up on this. thanks for sharing!

First fresh corn today. Only in grocery stores so far in our area. Not the best...but also not the worst. Loved it anyhow.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So far, all I've found is the white corn and it's devoid of flavor. The best thing to do with it is avoid it and wait for something better. My dog, though, really likes it strait off the cob.

I second the corn salad idea. People always seem amazed that you don't have to cook the corn, but for a salad there's no need. You don't need a formal recipe ... I just cut the corn off three ears, add a cup of chopped super ripe tomatoes, a half cup of minced red onion, a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon or more of lemon juice. SO good. The outcome totally depends on the quality and freshness of your corn. You need the freshest, most tender corn, and ripe tomatoes that have never been refrigerated.

My other corn salad is raw corn, blanched fava beans, mint, scallions, olive oil and lemon juice.

Steven, I hope this helps with your corn conundrum!