• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Cake

Fat Guy

What kind of rum cake are you talking about? Other than baba au rhum, the only kind of rum cake I've tasted is at a Jamaican restaurant on 14th St. between 2nd and 3rd Avenues in NY called Daphne's. They have a great rum cake. It's sort of a sponge cake with raisins and nuts on the bottom and a dark sugar topping (may be the other way around). The whole thing is soaked in rum, yet the cake isn't at all soupy tasting. They always have a whole cake on the counter and you can buy individual slices for $2.50.

What kind of rum cake are you talking about?

My friend just brought some back from St. Croix. I liked it. I like rum cake.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I guess I'd call it pound cake soaked in a rum-based syrup. There were two cakes, one plain and one with banana. The plain was better.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Luis Ayala's RumShop.net had a big roundup of commercial rumcakes recently in their November 2002 Newsletter:

http://www.rumshop.net/newsletters/november2002.pdf

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader (click) to read it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I too love rum cake. Make it with spiced rum. Even better. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We go to Grand Cayman every Easter to visit close friends who work/live there. Rum cake is probably the only thing worth buying there. Everyday thousands of Americans off those massive cruise ships shamble around Georgetown looking for something worth buying and end up going back to their ships with pounds of rum cake.

They do plain, coffee, banana, chocolate,and a fruit one I believe. Personally I never think there's enough rum in them and I end up giving a piece a douse from the bottle. But then I'm in it for the rum rather than the cake.

Haven't found a (commercial) rum cake to my liking yet, but:

Since it's Christmas, I baked two date cakes last weekend (harrumph... cakes with dates in them, kind of like English Fruit Cakes, but with dates). I added some rum into both of them (different rums to compare) and I have to say that both of them came out perfect!

The rums were Captain Morgan and El Dorado (both from the cheap, kitchen rum end of the spectrum).

EDIT: typo.

Edited by Kristian (log)

Hello all,

I am looking for recipies of rumcakes, since I am not able to find them commercially in my part of The Netherlands. I just returned from she shopping centre, and "only" found baba rum. I'm gonna try this later this evening :raz:

Furthermore I've been making a Christmas pudding, based on a recipy that was printed in the newspaper (but added a very very very :blink: small touch of rum).

But, as mentioned, if someone would like to share a rumcake recipe with me, please email me at john.von.pey@xs4all.nl!

John