• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wheat Grass

I have been reading up a bit on Wheat Grass lately and have started to incorporate it in powder form in my daily juices.

Anything I should know (pro's and con's) about adding wheat grass to my daily diet?

How do you use wheat grass?

Whether served on a spoon, stacked in a stiletto, or sipped in a stem glass pleasure in life is all about taste.

The Supper Model

www.thesuppermodel.com

Wheat grass is marketed with some pretty incredible claims. Many of the claims are, however, unfounded. I know that chlorophyll is named as one of the big benefits of wheat grass, but it really has no effect on the human body. I think I've even heard that dissolved oxygen is one of the benefits, another untruth. My personal barometer for whether or not a health food claim is legitimate is Dr. Andrew Weil. The guy does promote the occasional suspect supplement (and say some crazy things), but he generally does not support claims with little evidence. Here is an article he wrote on wheat grass that you should check out (My favorite part is where he said to spend your money on tastier veggies that have more nutrition):

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA363552

I've grown to become quite skeptical over the years, and I'd have to point at wheat grass as one of the things that tipped me that way. My exes father sent us a pot of wheat grass, so we bought a juicer to use it, since we knew that wheat grass was so good for you. When I got online to find out just how good for you wheat grass was, I ran into numerous articles debunking the extraordinary wheat grass claims. I was pretty deflated, especially since we had just bought a juicer for the wheat grass (one of those ones with an augur that really isn't good for much else).

Jamba Juice (a fruit smoothie chain) used to sell the juice in little plastic shots. They juiced it to order. The college kids would use it for a morning after hangover curative. I used it once or twice when I felt a cold coming on. Mostly I think it was in our heads as it just looked so wonderfully green and healthful. Now I pick up the wheatberries from the bulk bin and grow it as a decorative grass :wink:

If you enjoy sprout-y things, why not sprout some beans and seeds instead? Much more versatile and delicious and perfectly healthy for you too. My usual method is the South Asian one - so shorter tails than some people do and always lightly cooked instead of raw. I recommend trying mung beans, moth beans and kala chana to start you off - moth sprout really quickly and are my favourites.

I have been reading up a bit on Wheat Grass lately and have started to incorporate it in powder form in my daily juices.

Anything I should know (pro's and con's) about adding wheat grass to my daily diet?

Wheatgrass is a good nutritional supplement to a diet in moderate quantities. It is rich in vitamins , minerals and amino acids. Wheatgrass also contains hundreds of enzymes that aid the body in digesting foods, building protein in the bones and skin, and in detoxification processes. It also helps to cure many diseases. Just go through the following site. It is having all the information about wheat grass and it's benefits. Health Benefits of Wheat grass

So looking at all these I would say that there is no harm in adding a little of wheat grass in your diet.

Wheatgrass is a good nutritional supplement to a diet in moderate quantities. It is rich in vitamins , minerals and amino acids. Wheatgrass also contains hundreds of enzymes that aid the body in digesting foods, building protein in the bones and skin, and in detoxification processes. It also helps to cure many diseases. Just go through the following site. It is having all the information about wheat grass and it's benefits. Health Benefits of Wheat grass

So looking at all these I would say that there is no harm in adding a little of wheat grass in your diet.

If you read the article you have linked - I'll think you'll find it doesn't support any of those mentioned claims.