• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where would you try to hold July 29 wedding dinner?

agalarneau

Looking for a table for 12 for a wedding dinner. Left it too late for comfort and hoping for suggestions to save the day. Problem is, it's July 29, the last Friday in July. Gay marriage season will probably just be starting. Mazel tov, one and all, but there will obviously be a lot of bookings and we were caught behind in our planning.

We're looking for a classy place, excellent food with some kid accessibility, as 5 diners will be from 9-14. Excellent service, as this is a special dinner.

To give you a sense of the kind of place I dreamed about: I tried Nougatine, but they don't take reservations for more than 8. From descriptions, I would probably like the food at Kefi but fear the room might be a bit rough around the edges for a wedding dinner.

Is a table for 12 ridiculous? Never tried to make a reservation like this before, I'm not a NYC person.

So. Suggestions? Call me dumb if you like, I'm already feeling it, just throw me an idea.

(Extra points for places close to Central Park, where the (short, simple) wedding will happen.)

Congratulations. Recently, we were at Adour and noticed a wedding dinner being held in the wine room. Other possibilities include the east room at Per Se. Jean Georges also has a small private dining room on the second floor.

It's not crazy: many NY fine dining spots have private dining rooms, and 12 is a good size for some of the small options (I recently planned a private party for 40 and we went with craft's private space, which might be too large for your group, but they did a truly lovely job and I would highly recommend it). A lot of the spaces I looked at were smaller, so I don't think you should be in bad shape. Call soon though.

Near Central Park you have A Voce in Time Warner (multiple rooms), Le Bernardin, the Modern, Bar Boulud (multiple rooms), Marea and Per Se with private dining spaces. Downtown I'd look into Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, Eleven Madison Park (these 3 would probably top my list if I were you), Locanda Verde, Blue Hill, Lupa - they all have private rooms. Oh, the Harrison has a private dining room/wine cellar also. I was just at the Dutch and I think I'd give them a call too.

Kefi is very casual - nothing at all like J-G.

Per Se would be my first choice followed by Jonathan Bennos Lincoln. I can't think of anywhere else in the city that will offer a more memorable experience than those guys.