• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIY Seattle Food Tour - need recommendations!

So I've always wanted to do a day long, restaurant-hopping food tour to get all the little neat bites of Seattle (aside: I always wish Bite of Seattle was like that but instead it's a showcase of the food booths that make the festival rounds around WA).

So - where would you go? Remember - we're not eating a full meal at any of these places.

So far in my mind I have:

1. Marination Mobile

2. Where Ya At

3. Elliott's for Oysters

4. Molly Moon's

5. Tavolata for pasta happy hour

6. Paseo

7. Salumi (but not open on weekends)

8. Il Corvo Pasta (but not open on weekends)

9. Builtburger

10. Lunchbox Lab for something silly - milkshake or app

Thanks!

I think you need a plan - start at breakfast time in one location and work your way around town in a logically manner. It would take a lot for me to figure it out both geographically and culinarily, but I would start with a coffee and breakfast pastry somewhere like Besalu (since I can't think of a good sunrise facing spot other than Seward Park), work my way around the city throughout the day, hit Mashiko's for a light supper and plan to be at Alki for sundown cocktails, and then end up in the Pike/Pine area for late night street eats.

I'm not seeing anything Asian in your line-up (Marination Mobile doesn't count). You should take a turn through the International District. Grab a fantastic pork bun at Gourmet Noodle Bowl or some dim sum at Jade Garden (go early or go late but don't go at noon) or go to Tamarind Tree for the Vietnamese spring roll...the tamarind roll -- best spring roll ever and while there, have a kumquat crush martini.

Hit the Saturday Farmer's Market in the U District and look for the Tandoozy cart...get the fresh made on the spot naan bread brushed with garlic cilantro oil and served with freshly made mango chutney. OMG - best $3.50 I ever spent.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I do think Elliot's is probably the best of the waterfront restaurants but I hear the oysters at Walrus and Carpenter are awesome. Actually, the oysters at Ventana with kumquat/thai chili mignonette are the best I've ever had.

I don't understand the fascination with Molly Moon but I'm not much of a dessert person.

Otherwise, your choices send pretty awesome.

So after doing some research, I think I've decided to focus mostly on the Capitol Hill area near Cal Anderson park. It's easy to walk to a ton of places.

So here's my new plan for tomorrow:

Maximum/Minimus - Issaquah Farmer's Market (I have to pick up someone down there anyway so I'll start there)

Pai's (Cal Park)

Molly Moon's

Marination Station

Buanaco's Tacos Pupuseria

Po Dogs

Blue Bird

Quinn's

Any place around Cal Anderson park you'd recommend?

Here's my report on my food tour along with pictures: http://foodiebytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/epic-food-tour-of-seattles-capital-hill.html

Basically, I went to about 9 places over the course of 4 hours:

1. Minimus/Maximus at the Issaquah market

2. Guanacos Tacos for pupusas

3. Pai's Food Truck

4. Dante's Inferno Dogs

5. Marination Station

6. Molly Moon's

7. Bluebird

8. Old School Frozen Custard

9. Po Dog

My verdict - I think Molly Moon's is still very good - Bluebird was nice but I didn't like their digs. I still adore Marination Station/Mobile - I could eat like 10 spam sliders from there. I think the owner was there too and she was very impressed on our food tour.

But the surprise for me was Po Dog - first time going. Their fried pickles was nice, but their egg roll hot dog is an insane dog that would be the perfect drunk food ever.