• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chewing Gum

TheNoodleIncident

So who is addicted to gum? I know I am, mostly at work. Most of the time I have an assortment of 3-4 flavors in my desk which I rotate through during the day. I almost always chew two pieces (sometimes adding a third for a flavor kick) at a time - I like having something substantial to chew on. Nearly always sugar free.

I've developed a few favorites for various reasons - Stride because the flavor really does last longer than most others, Trident "original" or "bubblegum" flavor because they taste really good and have a nice, snappy texture, and Orbit Mist raspberry lemonade flavor because it might be the most delicious gum ever made (though the flavor disappears pathetically quickly).

Anyone else? What brands, flavors, amounts, etc do you prefer? Bubble blowers? Any really great ones that I need to try?

Hi

I'm also fond of chewing gums. Just when I'm getting bored I chew one. I usually go for Wrigley's and Doublemint as they are mint flavored. But I'm not as regular as you. I'm taking 1-2 a day. Hope you know that too much of these chewing gums are harmful for our health. It can cause bloating in addition to several other bad effects. So try and reduce the amount as it's not good for your body.

I posted about my new fav's here:

Extra Sugarless Chewing Gum The Topic

The Extra Key Lime Pie and the Extra Strawberry Shortcake are just great. They do lose their flavor rather quickly but, oh, what a flavor. :wub:

I'm not a fan of the Mint Chocolate Chip.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My kids make me buy (and thus try) different kinds, there are some ok ones in the "5" brand, but I tend to go back to good old green package wrigley's, my go to gum if I want one. Perfect at concerts when you get a dry mouth but don't want to loose your nice spot in the crowd while getting a drink. Might ad an Altoid at times for extra crunch and peppermint kick :biggrin:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 3 weeks later...

There are two new dessert flavors in the Wrigley's Extra Sugarless Gum Dessert Delights:

Apple Pie and Orange Cream Pop (pictured on the wrapper is an orange 50-50 bar....vanilla ice cream encased in an orange popsicle exterior).

The Apple Pie flavor is amazingly good. You can taste the tartness of the apple along with the pie spices. It's a winner.

The Orange Cream Pop is good but other Dessert flavors are better. The problem with this flavor is that the orange flavor is there, right up front. It has a hint of bitterness that you would get with the orange rind which provides a nice balance to sweetness of the gum. But there's no vanilla ice cream flavor that I can detect. It is a good orange flavored gum but that's about it.

Of the two, the Apple Pie flavor is far batter.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

For some reason those dessert flavors don't appeal to me. I think I just prefer the "clean" flavor of mint or basic fruit flavors. But I think I'll pick up a pack next time I refill my stash.

Also, I currently have a headache from chewing a wad of gum for waaay too long. A few hours probably....

I don't chew gum since it makes my jaw hurt. I also don't like to watch others chew gum (too many years of teaching high school, I guess). That said, my children like gum and so does my mother. The boys like 5 and Mom likes Doublemint. She only chews half a stick at a time and only in the car.