• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavoring tempered chocolate?

ChocoNM

I've got an idea for a chocolate I want to make, but to do it I'll need to flavor tempered chocolate. I want to add espresso to the tempered choclate, but I know I can't add liquid coffee or it will seize. Would instant espresso powder work? Or do I need to get some "espresso flavoring", and if so, what kind? I'm not using any artificial flavorings in my products at this point, so that may be a factor in product selection as well. (Not sure exactly the difference between "natural" and "artificial" flavorings, as both are processed food products...)

TIA,

Steve

Why not melt the chocolate, steep some coffee beans in it, strain it off, then temper the chocolate? As an added bonus, you'll end up with chocolate-covered coffee beans!

I have done just that and it works very well. Keep the chocolate melted while it is steeping at about 40C. I left the coffee beans in the melted chocolate for about 4 hours, then strained, tempered the chocolate and used as normal.

Thanks for all the tips. Any guidelines on how much coffee per pound of chocolate? I'm thinking maybe a 1:8 ratio of coffee to chocolate - 2oz coffee to 1 lb chocolate.

I'd toast the coffee beans before steeping them in molten chocolate. You can keep the chocolate molten in 40-60C at for at least a week without doing any bad to the chocolate itself.