• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off 56: Savory-Filled Pastry

David Ross

On 10/3/2023 at 5:38 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

Thanks @Smithy for telling me about this cook-off. I make stuffed pastries almost every Sunday and I'm running out of ideas for fillings. The ones that I make are with a brioche type dough but I guess they still fit in this category, and I'm happy to restart the thread.

My favorite ones to make are Char Siu Bao.

This week's offerings were A variation on Russian piroshki.

Last night I made Kafka on flatbread and I enjoyed the seasoning in the meat so much that I am going to try it next Sunday in some sort of stuffed bun.

Wow.  I never knew about this cook-off.  I've never made a stuffed pastry, but how useful they would be in our lives.  I'm going back to page one and reading this topic for sure.  

And @Tropicalsenior, your pastries look and sound divine.  Please come to visit and make some for us.  

PS.  Certainly did know about this topic as I posted to it several times and even made some of the prescribed pastries.  Duh.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

52 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Please come to visit and make some for us.  

If you had made that offer 10 years ago I would have been there in a heartbeat. However...

I haven't read through the whole thread but I am looking forward to it. The ones that I make are always made with a bread dough because I don't do well with pie dough or empanada dough. I always wind up with leaks, cracks, and lumps.

The one trick that I would recommend for making them with bread dough is to let your dough relax between steps. First shape it into balls, relax 10 to 15 minutes then using a small rolling pin, roll it into ovals or rounds in order to fill them. 

If you are making them empanadas style, roll them into completely flat ovals, put your filling in the middle and stretch the dough up and over to seal. If you are making round bao style, roll them into circular shape, leave the center a little bit thicker and roll the edges very thin. Put the filling in the middle and pleat the edges up around the filling.

I hope that makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I haven't read through the whole thread but I am looking forward to it. The ones that I make are always made with a bread dough...

Question from a rank beginner:  when you say bread dough or any of the other 'doughs', are you speaking of frozen doughs purchased at a grocery store?   My thoughts about making filled pastries come long after I have been in a grocery store to search out these items.  I'll have to ask Ed to pick up any frozen doughs for me and no doubt I'll also have to ask him to ask to find these items.   ...that is, if that's what you are referring to...  Thanks.  

(and I would be on a plane to come to your place if invited...)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

30 minutes ago, Darienne said:

when you say bread doug

What I use almost exclusively is my recipe for Light Brioche Bread. It's easy to make and just the right texture. A full batch will give me enough for eight buns which is perfect for us. That also leaves about 18 oz of dough that I can make into hamburger buns or a loaf of bread or cinnamon buns. It's a very versatile dough. I weigh out the Buns and about 2.5 oz is perfect for each one. When I make Char Siu Bao I make my own Char Siu and I use this recipe from David Soo Hoo for the filling and sometimes for the dough but his recipe is very similar to my brioche recipe. It's just that his is made in a bread machine and if you don't want to have to refigure the recipe the brioche recipe is a little quicker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

What I use almost exclusively is my recipe for Light Brioche Bread. It's easy to make and just the right texture. A full batch will give me enough for eight buns which is perfect for us. That also leaves about 18 oz of dough that I can make into hamburger buns or a loaf of bread or cinnamon buns. It's a very versatile dough. I weigh out the Buns and about 2.5 oz is perfect for each one. When I make Char Siu Bao I make my own Char Siu and I use this recipe from David Soo Hoo for the filling and sometimes for the dough but his recipe is very similar to my brioche recipe. It's just that his is made in a bread machine and if you don't want to have to refigure the recipe the brioche recipe is a little quicker.

Thank you for the additional information.  Except that I won't be reconfiguring David Soo Hoo's recipe for brioche and I will use your Char Siu recipe.  All I need now is some more pork butt.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Have you ever tried freezing the unbaked buns,

I've never frozen the unbaked buns but I have frozen them after they are made. They freeze beautifully however I never have enough left to freeze.

If you do freeze them, you can pop them, frozen, in the microwave for 30 seconds and they are just like new. Fresh, they will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator, if they last that long.

• Thanks 1