• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

On 12/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, Katie Meadow said:

I've always been partial to leftover curried vegetables as a pie filling. Basic potato, cauliflower, peas, carrots and spinach or other greens, etc baked in a double crust. Or a single top crust works for deep dish. Not too sweet dough, all butter crust. Served with chutney or pickle and cucumber raita and tart apple, sliced thin.

i made a curried turkey pie for lunch yesterday with some rando bowl of curry sauce i found in the fridge from last month. made it into a gravy with some flour and turkey stock, and chopped up the last of the turkey legs from christmas (incidentally this turkey was so good i've ordered two more from the farm and plan on keeping them in the freezer for a while). 

i was in the mood to make a pastry since i've had a bowl of grated butter sitting in the freezer for a month, now, and i wanted the bowl back. quick 3-2-1 dough, folded a few times, rolled out a turned into a free-form tart on a sheet. such a great way to use up leftovers.

26 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

I also have puff pastry that should be used. Can I use it to make. Beef Wellington? With a mushroom duxelle (I will need advice)? 

of course?

there are a few threads on this that might be of interest:

jimb0

jimb0

On 12/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, Katie Meadow said:

I've always been partial to leftover curried vegetables as a pie filling. Basic potato, cauliflower, peas, carrots and spinach or other greens, etc baked in a double crust. Or a single top crust works for deep dish. Not too sweet dough, all butter crust. Served with chutney or pickle and cucumber raita and tart apple, sliced thin.

i made a curried turkey pie for lunch yesterday with some rando bowl of curry sauce i found in the fridge from last month. made it into a gravy with some flour and turkey stock, and chopped up the last of the turkey legs from christmas (incidentally this turkey was so good i've ordered two more from the farm and plan on keeping them in the freezer for a while). 

i was in the mood to make a pastry since i've had a bowl of grated butter sitting in the freezer for a month, now, and i wanted the bowl back. quick 3-2-1 dough, folded a few times, rolled out a turned into a free-form tart on a sheet. such a great way to use up leftovers.