• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tour de France Dinner Party

Matt_T

Hello, all. It's been a while since I've signed in, and I hope this isn't an old topic - if so I'd welcome a pointer to the relevant threads!

My wife and I had the idea to host one or more home dinner parties to coincide with the Tour de France. We're not cyclists but enjoy cooking (and mostly eating) French recipes, out of Julia Child and elsewhere, and thought it'd be a fun theme. We could turn on the Tour rebroadcast during cocktail/coffee hours (with the sound off), and it might be like looking out the window at the French countryside.

Last year I saw a blog on which an admitted Francophile presented a traditional recipe for each day of the 2010 Tour, chosen from the region where the riders were competing that day. It looked very well done and while I only found it in the closing days of the event - too late to plan a dinner - it gave me this idea for this year. The author said s/he would be back in 2011, but I can't find the blog. Only this one, which might be great but I don't think is by the same people as the one I saw last year: Culinary Tour de France

Does anybody else recall the old blog - which I'm pretty sure wasn't affiliated with the official Tour site - and know if it's active again this year?

Any suggestions for our little party (or parties)? I'd welcome suggestions from cooks who follow the Tour, about days when the riders might be passing through regions of special culinary interest, and from anyone who enjoys French food ideas for recipes, menus, decor, fun stuff....whatever. I'm hoping to design an entire menu (including wine) around the region where the Tour is riding on the day of the dinner. Or, if one region on the Tour really begs for this kind of tribute but they happen to be riding it on an inconvenient day, I guess I could DVR it and replay it later for the party. If we actually pull it off, I'll post a writeup of how things went (with pictures if I can get any decent looking ones out of my little camera).

Here's the official site for the Tour de France, with the route and schedule: LeTour2011

One reason I posted this to eGullet, even though I'm only an irregular visitor, is that from what I recall of the community others might enjoy this kind of thing, and it might be a fun topic for ongoing discussion or even cook-offing.

Merci!

---------------

Matt T

Stage 10. Aurillac to Carmaux. Through the department of Aveyron where we're lucky to have a nearly habitable house, and some very, very hospitable neighbours. I think a lot of France is like this, but I really like everyone's sense of pride in anything Aveyronnaise.

Based on several wonderful meals we've enjoyed prepared in neighbour's homes I'd suggest..

To start, it would have to be foie gras. Or failing that a pork pate. Some onion marmalade. And good bread.

Main would have to include aligot. A sort of mashed potato and cheese dish which is probably as Aveyronnaise as you can get. It would be an accompaniment perhaps to veal, also a regional speciality.

Then a green salad, dressed at the table.

Followed by cheese. Would have to be Roquefort. The style seems to be to serve a big block of one very good cheese. At a push, two very good cheeses. Something soft, mild and goaty perhaps. Not a selection board as we might do in the UK.

Desert a few weeks ago were sweet strawberries steeped in a light syrup with white cheese - I think it was a very fresh cheese made in the home. My French still isn't up to all the subtleties :-)

Drinks. Always start with a sweet white Marcillac wine, or perhaps pastis.

Local red, or perhaps something from the Rhone during the meal.

If you're celebrating, Champagne to finish. Seems all the wrong way round to me, but when in Aveyron.

Oh, and you'll want to eat with Laguiole cutlery, which you won't change between courses.

Edited by sheepish (log)