• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best sauces for home made pasta

CDRFloppingham

I just bought a Kitchenaid Pro 600 mixer and I hope to get the pasta making attachment this week.

I really love quality dried pasta but I wanted to try making fresh.

What recipes do you recommend that really show the fresh pasta to its best advantage?

I know stuffed pastas but what about the non-stuffed ones?

Edited by CDRFloppingham (log)

Most Italian pasta is just an egg, a pinch of salt and enough flour to make the dough. It takes about 2 cups flour per 3 eggs. Two kinds of dough are used most often: Semolina and 00 or a combination with AP flour. A close approximation to 00 is 3 parts AP and one part cake flour. Working with semolina requires some rest time -like overnight, wrapped in plastic in the refrigerator in order fully hydrate the flour.

I have the kind of attachment that makes the sheet kind. I have heard no one say anything good about the extruder but there is a new pasta attachment that the put our within the last couple of years that I know nothing about.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

My vote is butter and parmigiano. A close second for me would be a light application of Marcella Hazan's tomato and butter sauce (crushed tomatoes, up to 4 T butter, a half an onion, all started from cold and simmered slowly until thickened, then seasoned and tossed). Or pesto. Gorgonzola and cream is also very good. For something more involved and spectacular, Bolognese.

The fact is, you really can't go wrong though. I use the Kitchenaid rollers and they make the best pasta I've ever made. Also, I don't roll to the thinnest setting since I find it a bit too thin for noodles (I do it for lasagne). For me, rolling it to 6 is the best for noodles.

nunc est bibendum...

I have the kind of attachment that makes the sheet kind. I have heard no one say anything good about the extruder but there is a new pasta attachment that the put our within the last couple of years that I know nothing about.

The pasta extruder I linked above works well, especially considering the cost. It is far superior to the older "extruder" where poorly made plates for the grinder.

Read more about extruders on the eG thread here:

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I go with aglio e olio (olive oil and garlic) when I'm really looking to highlight the pasta itself. Of course there are a zillion recipes that are great with homemade pasta, but I find that this one is best for when you want the flavor of the dough itself to shine brightest.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I think I read this in Bon Appetit...A very basic sauce for pasta that we now use all the time.

2 big cans of whole tomatos

1 stick of butter

1 yellow onion, peeled, cut in half

red pepper flakes

put all in a big pot. break up tomatoes

simmer for 1 hour

remove onion

Use immersion blender to blend to desired consistency.

You can add some other stuff - fresh basil at the end - an anchovie or two at the beginning but just that basic recipe is a delicious accompiant for fresh pasta

I also have the KA pasta attachment and I really like it

Edited by eternal (log)

• 2 weeks later...