• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raclette - no equipment

lame username

Saw some raclette at Whole Foods and had to buy a small block. I've been interested in it for a year or so, but haven't plunged to buy a grill or "melter". And, I'm certainly not going to light a fire in the fireplace in a 95o South Louisiana summer night. I'm anxious to try it, however. Should I hold it near my Iwatani torch, put it under the broiler?

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

I have the raclette equipment. I could do anything the Swissmar can do with a griddle and a small toaster-oven broiler. If Alton Brown were to inspect my kitchen, the only thing he'd be able to take me to task for is the raclette oven, which only gets used once or twice a year.

I'm planning on breaking the sucker out July 4, just because I haven't used it in two years.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Heidi's grandpa didnt have a special raclette oven either. He melted the cheese on a fork by the fire. Me, I'd rather use a burner, the toaster oven or the broiler, just so I could turn the heat off again quickly, when done.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Heidi's grandpa didnt have a special raclette oven either. He melted the cheese on a fork by the fire. Me, I'd rather use a burner, the toaster oven or the broiler, just so I could turn the heat off again quickly, when done.

That is always my immediate mental picture when I think about the dish. Small wonder :biggrin: The poor original poster is in a heat spell so I did not want to torment her - I do want to try it fireside in cooler weather.

TheTInCook - bet it was tasty anyway. I'm home alone for lunch today; I'll close the curtains, try it your way, and no one (except readers of this topic) will know.

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

I guess it all depends whether you want the flavor, or if your main goal is to play with your food (always fun, but often not convenient). I like the slice and broil idea.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

How did it turn out?

I wanted to share something interesting I noted in the Time Life Foods of the World "A Quartet of Cuisines" volume today regarding raclette. It says that the word is taken from the French "racler" which mean "to scrape" and that several kinds of semi soft cheeses can be used. They say (from the perspective of 1970 publish date) that the only similar cheese imported to the U.S. is done so as "raclette". Based on your experience with the cheese and the vast array of cheese we often have available today, perhaps you could try another cheese of similar character. If you find one that is similar I would be interested in the type.

And more info from the book mentioned above regarding an at home method:

It calls for preheating the oven to 500 for 10 minutes and heating some heat proof dinner plates. Cut the cheese into 1/8" slices and fan out on the plates after they have heated for a few minutes. Then place the super hot plates onto the floor of the oven for a minute or so. The cheese should be bubbling a bit and looking smooth. They caution against letting it brown at all. The inferno plates are then removed and served with a few boiling potatoes, pickled onions, and sour pickles alongside. There is a caution to place something heatproof under the plates as they will do some damage.

My block was so small for a trial, I only got two 1/8" slices out of it. I put them in a gratin dish under the broiler until they were bubbling, but not quite brown. (I was hungry and didn't want to wait any longer. I love browned cheese, but per the websites I've seen, just bubbling with a crust beginning to form seemed appropriate.) My husband (and therefore myself) has been on the paleo type diet for a while so there are few starches in the house. No potatoes; but I keep a stash of emergency whole wheat crackers for charcuterie meals. I had some slices of salami from Whole Foods to go with, and just scooped up blobs of cheese with the crackers. Oh my goodness! What a wonderful flavor. Hot, gooey, fragrant cheese. I will definitely do this more properly in the winter by the fireplace with potatoes, cornichons, and onions. Diet be damned! I greatly appreciate all the helpful suggestions in response to my question. (The version of raclette I found at Whole Foods was Herve Mons, not sure how authentic it is, but it was delicious.)

Inventing the Universe