• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese aging and storing

Dakki

Okay, I've acquired a ~4.5 (~10 lb) kg round of Chihuahua with the intention of storing it; this is a cheese that definitely improves with aging. The cheese appears to be wrapped in cheesecloth and then shrink-wrapped.

So, how should one treat a firm cheese for aging? Remove the plastic or let it stay in there? I assume it should be refrigerated? (Current temp in my kitchen: 42C/108F).

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I don't know anything about the cheese you mention but any cheese in shrink wrap can't breathe or age. I have doubts that there is anything you can do in a normal residential setting that will significantly improve any cheese, especially after it has been cut. In order to keep you cheese in the best condition, look at the directions here: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/cheese/how-to-store-cheese-what-to-do-when-you-get-it-home-the-cheesemonger-100285

Norm's right on the shrink wrap. That stuff won't do any good for the cheese. That guide posted above has some great tips on storage in your refrigerator. I would go further to say you need an airtight container that is twice the size of your cheese. You can regulate the humidity in the container by added a damp/wet towel (the refrigerator will suck the moisture right out of it).

Unfortunately, the fridge is too cold to let any "real" aging progress but there's not much choice unless you want to keep your house between 50F and 55F degrees. Good luck my friend!

Oh, I'd love to keep my house at that temperature but the weather isn't cooperating.

Anyway, I e-mailed the maker (good thing I bought this from a small operation, huh?) and he suggested cutting into ~1 kilo chunks, ziplocking them individually in the largest bags available and keeping them in the warmest part of the fridge. We'll see how this goes.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.