• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casa Maya

pnapoli

anyone have any info on casa maya in meyersville (er, where's that)? i am going next week for lunch. i have heard over the years that it's supposed to be decent, even good, but any details would be appreciated. especially interested in info about the cactus enchiladas... thanx :smile:

casa maya in meyersville (er, where's that)?

According to the US Census Bureau, Meyersville is part of Morris Plains in Morris County.

According to yp.yahoo, Casa Maya is in Gillette (which is not listed on the census page at all), specifically:

Casa Maya

615 Meyersville Rd, Gillette, NJ 07933

Phone: (908) 580-0799

Is this the location of which you are speaking?

I think that location was formerly Cantina Mexicana. Around the corner from Archie's resale shop. The original owner was murdered a few yars ago, I believe.

Go out Fairmont Avenue from Chatham Center, and out, and out. It's on the right. Meyersville is very small, the other road leads out to Berkeley Heights

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

thanks you guys! i was told it was actually in "meyersville" but now that i have found out that i am not designated driver, i'm not as concerned about getting there and back. :smile: I will report back on the meal, however.... :smile:

I was there...easily 4 - 5 years ago- I stumbled on it while looking for an antique store (also came across Archie's!!!) and we have made plans to go back, it's just a hike from Bergen County and unfortunately just never made the time.

So from memory -- this was not your average tex-mex burrito kind of place- I remember a pretty detailed menu - with a few tex options like fajitas - I remember great spices, assertive, reasonable prices ($8 - 18.00 entrees) - eager for your report!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 3 weeks later...

lunch at casa maya was pretty good. i got the chicken mole. it was served as a cutlet, marinated in garlic. the sauce itself was good, although not as intensely flavored as at el gran mexicano in bogota, which was the last place before casa maya that i had ordered this dish. the chicken was served with rice and refried beans--and the beans were pretty darn good (i'm pretty sure there was plenty of lard in there). a few others also got the chicken mole and enjoyed it, while others got burritos and rolled tacos. for dessert, we shared bunuelos, cripsy tortillas sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with honey, which were delicious. the restaurant is very cute--decor is bright and festive and the service was friendly and attentive.

unfortunately, i have been so busy that i was unable to write this review until i returned home from holiday travels---to mexico, of all places, and with those meals still fresh in my mind, it's hard to get too excited about casa maya. :wink: but it really wasn't bad.

• 3 years later...

Just heard about this place from a friend who really enjoyed it...anyone else been recently?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Trust me, Meyersville is NOT part of Morris Plains! It's south of Morristown, just outside of the Great Swamp...right on the border of Gillette.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Meyersville is Morris county! Gillette and Millington are both south of it and are part of Morris county as is The Great Swamp.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

Meyersville is Morris county! Gillette and Millington are both south of it and are part of Morris county as is The Great Swamp.

Right. Morris COUNTY. But definitely not Morris Plains!