• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lucky Peach

OliverB

Wow this is interesting information! I have the first issue in good condition, I had no idea they were in such high demand...?

I definitely agree issue #3 was a much better read than issue #2.

I personally found both #1 and #2 unsatisfying. They reminded me of the Slow Food magazine; gorgeously designed, great photography and WHOOPS! someone forgot about writing and editing. Rambling, messy, unfocused. I wish there was a food magazine trying to get the writing as good as the New Yorker, as well as the design as good as Dwell. Sigh. If they were Bay Area, I'd try to get on staff to yell at people.

I got 3, tried to start reading it, forgot I was reading it, misplaced it, and now I'm not sure if I can review it other to say it didn't hold my attention.

What is the best food WRITING today in a magazine?

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

• 1 month later...

And now we are at issue #4 - comments from those of you that have read it? I got mine today packaged in a large box. Inside it had a stiff cardboard piece it was laying on and then shrinkwrapped extremely well. No corner bending or creases likely. Are people buying this for re-sale? I started to read but got such a Tony Bourdain headache I backed off for a bit.

• 2 months later...

I meant to buy issue 1 used on Amazon a few months but was short on disposable income. Just now I went to put all four issues in my cart, only to find that the first issue is now worth $88 minimum used, and $200 new. Any ideas on how to get my hands on a cheaper volume 1?

Edited to add: it was $8 last time I looked! Could kick myself.

Edited by mskerr (log)