• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lucky Peach

OliverB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't say enough good things about this magazine. The sheer quantity of good content is punishing. I'm almost as struck by the artwork as I am by the writing. I especially enjoyed the corrections comic strip in Issue #2. They are really putting a lot of effort into this magazine.

Hmm, I subscribed a while back, got issue 1 from Amazon but still waiting on issue #2...

Funny. I bought the first issue at B&N, and ordered the second one from Amazon as soon as I read (here) that it was out. Got it in two days. I haven't had a chance to sit down with it, but if it's anything like the first issue, I will devour it in one sitting.

It's fun to leave it out on the coffee table and watch people's reactions when they pick it up and start to leaf through it. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I am on page 35 of 175 and enjoying issue 2 immensely. More than the first issue. The initial travelogue still had that Bourdain like "oh I drank too much and feel like crap" which I find annoying..but the food descriptions were well done and I wanted to be "part of the party". Currently into the apricot article which touches my memories and looking forward to the rest. There appears to be more content than issue one. An apology is issued for having some ads to assist funding - hell as long as no perfume stuff springs out at me I am cool. If you are thinking about getting the issue- I truly believe you will not regret the money spent.

• 4 weeks later...

ha, almost forgot that I had issue 2, remodeling the house and lots of things are in places where they usually aren't. Have to look for it tonight, haven't really started it yet.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I got the second issue this week and I'm really liking it. It's really something else than the average magazine. Really appealing both visually and textually. The first issue costs some 150 euros in amazon which is too bad because I would've wanted to have one.

There was certainly some fluff (I mean, in some ways, it's a lifestyle magazine as much as anything), but the article on miso types, kimchi, Japanese knives (if you're a neophyte), foams and dry aging were all good solid articles, I thought. Not the most in-depth pieces of their type, perhaps, but solid. I've also really come to appreciate the literary excerpts at the end of the magazine. They may be reprints, but if they're reprints of things I've never read before, I'm not bothered by it!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

There was certainly some fluff (I mean, in some ways, it's a lifestyle magazine as much as anything), but the article on miso types, kimchi, Japanese knives (if you're a neophyte), foams and dry aging were all good solid articles, I thought. Not the most in-depth pieces of their type, perhaps, but solid. I've also really come to appreciate the literary excerpts at the end of the magazine. They may be reprints, but if they're reprints of things I've never read before, I'm not bothered by it!

i must have put it down too soon...i don't think i read those!

Yes! - the Russell Chatham reprints in the back were new to me and quite enjoyable. Of course I went on line to see about getting the books and a brief search yielded only very pricey options.....

Yes! - the Russell Chatham reprints in the back were new to me and quite enjoyable. Of course I went on line to see about getting the books and a brief search yielded only very pricey options.....

I didn't get any further than idly thinking, "I should look into getting those books." Sad to hear that they're not widely available.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Jmolinari.....

I would agree with you. I believe I liked the first issue better than the second, but the second was still very good. Maybe it was because the first issue was so "out of the box" and fresh, and the second one needed to be even more so.....but we were already expecting that.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

• 1 month later...

Lucky Peach #3 arrived today and I think it is the best one by far. I have already pre-ordered #4! Write on...

That's interesting. My reaction so far (admittedly only 80% through) has been the complete opposite. I have seen a lot of the content about chefs (hours, culinary school a rip off, the good/bad old days etc) from other places so those articles were not particularly interesting to me. The one article that I did particularly enjoy was about the military cook. That is a side of the cooking industry that is rarely discussed and I found it fascinating.

I'm enjoying issue 3 more than the first 2. Not done with it yet, reading about preserved eggs right now, but there sure seems to be a lot more content than the previous issues.

Why is the first issue 150$, yikes! Wish mine was in good enough shape to sell, I'd make my subscription money back.

I guess my only real gripe stems from the pages which are printed in red ink on a black background. Add to that the tiny

font and I find it super frustrating to read. The articles themselves rock. I have issue #1 in near mine condition...hum. I

do know that these are magazines that I won't be passing along to the local book sale or putting in the library free rack!

• 1 month later...

Issue one seems to be in high demand. Copies are going for upwards of $80 on eBay, with some sellers posting buy-it-now prices in the hundreds! Not sure what's driving the demand but it certainly does make me think of parting with my copy, or at least putting it in a safe place!