• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glass Lids

Shel_B

This morning I was boiling some water and was thinking about how convenient the glass lid on my 1-quart saucepan is. I use that pan 95% of the time for boiling water, heating a can of something, or rewarming an item from the fridge. It's nice to be able to easily see how the process is coming along, especially since I'm often doing something else at the time, like chopping vegetables or cleaning the counter ...

Some people have objections to glass lids, although I've not had a single problem or objection with the lids for the two pots that I do have. Both are small and used only for simple stove top work.

So, who likes, and who dislikes, glass lids, and why?

Interested in hearing your comments, Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I love glass lids and have one for most of my pans. The only time I prefer not to have a glass lid is on my LeCreuset dutch oven. On that I like the heavy lid that I know makes a great seal for a slow braise.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I love 'em. All of my stainless steel saucepans and my small s/s frypan have tempered glass lids, as does my small s/s steamer pot. I've even thrown these pots into the oven with the lids on with no issues. Come to think of it, my big ceramic casserole dishes have tempered glass lids as well.

I really like being able to see what's going on in my pots and pans, and particularly with the steamer it's invaluable to see the colour of the veg without letting all the steam out - that way I get perfectly cooked but not mooshy veggies every single time.

Why do people object to glass lids?

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I love mine on my little sauce pan, my 'dutch oven' (actually, it's a stew pot)which also fits my large frying pan. I can see whats going on in the pan, and the have a small vent hole to prevent boilovers. I used to gage boiling water by the sound of the boilover hitting the electric stove element! :biggrin::rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I am also a fan of glass lids. In fact, I have repurposed some old glass lids that conveniently fit my older Calphalon, AllClad &etc., skillets and pots because I do like to see what's going on inside, without having to lift the lid.

This is especially important with something that can go from underdone to way too done in seconds. Catching it at the perfect instant is much easier with the glass lid.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Not I. I don't like glass lids.

They are heavy, breakable and you must keep them spotless all the time.

Most of the time they are steamed up and you have to lift them up to see what's going on anyway.

dcarch

Uhhhh. If you wipe the inner surface of a glass lid with a thin film of oil, it won't fog up. The steam that condenses on the lid will immediately run off to the sides.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sorry to say, but I'm also with dcarch, mostly for the reason that they are breakable. I think it may just be from previously working in a commercial kitchen, I really hate any cook ware that is glass, I'm terrified of dropping it, especially those large heavy pyrex pans, cant stand those.

Ah, but Pyrex is a whole other ballgame! I've dropped Pyrex casseroles and they just bounce off the tiles - I love it, but the stuff is very expensive down here, so I'm slowly building up my sets again.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I keep waiting for that engineer from Star Trek IV to bring some transparent aluminum to market. Hell, he's had almost 20 years. What's the deal? Scotty GAVE him the formula. :rolleyes:

(Half of my lids are glass. The rest are copper and cast iron.)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

My daughter had some and one exploded. I've heard of other people's doing the same. No thanks, at least not on metal pans.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali