• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Will my appetizers get soggy?

abadoozy

Hoping that someone with more catering experience than I have can address this -

I'm invited to a wine tasting/potluck tonight, and I'm bringing a plate of appetizers as my contribution. I'm going to make croutons by slicing up a baguette and toasting them, then layer on goat cheese, a sun-dried tomato spread, and finish with a drop or two of pesto.

Problem is, I'm invited to two events tonight. The first will only be about 30-60 minutes, and I'm bringing the appetizer to the second.

I'm hoping that the layer of goat cheese will prevent the croutons from getting overly soggy as they sit for an hour. Am I off base here? If they're really going to be ruined, I could always slip into the kitchen when I arrive at the second event and do the final prep, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Second question - will buttering the bread before/after toasting make any difference?

I think they'll get soggy, well, maybe not soggy, but wimpy. They will be made more than an hour before, right? Because an hour before is when you arrive at the first event. Crostini with toppings just don't keep. Would it work to toast the bread and arrange it around a little dish of the layered spreads? That would keep.