• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kitchen tasks do you love doing?

I loathe chopping and dicing, get terribly bored attending stove-top cooking and can't abide making cookies since my attention wanders before the last batch is out of the oven.

But I am happy washing dishes and cookware that I love. It involves handling stuff I identify with and is a source of instant gratification: you have dirty stuff on one side and sparkling clean on the other.

Of course, the satisfaction only lasts until someone starts to eat again and upsets the zen balance....

eGullet member #80.

Boning pretty much anything with a scalpel. Ggod, I do love the precision...

That's as impressive as it is creepy. I think I'm on the same page -- give me a whole critter with all the bits intact. I love the kitchen tasks of dispatching, plucking, skinning, filleting, shelling, etc. Shrink-wrapped styrene trays have their place but they're just not as much fun.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Filleting fish. Also a lot of slicing/dicing/julienne tasks that others might do with a mandoline or the slicing disks of a food processor, I enjoy doing with a knife. Making clean, neat cuts feels like the reward for maintaining sharp knives.

I love making tomato conserva, sausage and stock.

:smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!