• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe for Hot Cake

Cookwithlove

I have taken HOT CAKE for breakfast in the elbow beach hotel in Bermuda years ago and it was really nice. I wonder anyone have the recipe?

Thanks you.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

"Hot cakes" are usually the same as pancakes, and are basically flour, baking powder and/or baking soda, usually egg, usually a little sugar, and milk. There are hundreds or thousands of variations. A common one is to use buttermilk (which here in the U.S. is typically slightly sour) or sour milk; with these baking soda is used. Ingredients are just barely mixed so that the cakes will be light, not tough. They are usually fried with a little oil or butter on a griddle or other flat surface.

Fruit is often added; blueberries are common, but most fruit can be used (except maybe citrus, but sometimes some citrus juice is used). Spices, particularly cinnamon or nutmeg can be included.

Usually white flour ("all purpose flour" in the U.S.) is used, but particularly some older recipes may call for cake flour. Whole grain flours and meals (instead of or mixed with the white flour) are frequent variations. Corn (maize) meal is sometimes used (with some flour). Many people use a prepackaged mix for the dry ingredients.

There are also recipes using yeast or sourdough starter.

Pancakes/hot cakes are traditionally served with butter and syrup, but some of us prefer fruit preserves.

(Yesterday I had pancakes made with whole wheat flour, oat bran cereal, flax seed meal, soy flour, salt, baking powder and soda, and buttermilk, but that is not typical. I ate them with some homemade gooseberry preserves, also not typical.)

Look for pancake recipes and you should find many that will use the ingredients you have at hand.

Dick in Northbrook, IL

Thanks Dickl for your insight and sharing your rich experience. Very kind of you indeed.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

My current go-to pancake/hotcake mix:

1 cup plain flour (I have been using half white and half buckwheat lately)

1 teaspoon bicarb soda (aka baking soda)

1 cup. Buttermilk or sour milk

1 egg

This makes a very thick batter, and it needs to be cooked over a slightly lower heat than I would use for a thinner batter. Smaller cakes (about 6-8cm diameter) are easier than bigger ones. I don't bother with adding butter or oil to the batter.

We like these with maple syrup when we have it, or a quick sauce of frozen berries, warmed with some sugar.