• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine in pasta sauce

$10 bottle of pinot grigo ? 330ml or 500ml? I live in Singapore.. it costs about $6 to $8 for 330ml >.> abit steep price..LOL.. never mind.. as long we can do experiment on wine in pasta .. ^_^

Singapore has extremely high alcohol taxes ($88 SGD per litre of alcohol) and the SGD is ~80% of the USD so experience with US prices is unhelpful. A $20 SGD bottle of wine will be equivalent to a $8 USD bottle of wine.

PS: I am a guy.

• 4 years later...
On 7/21/2011 at 8:04 AM, antdad said:

In a tomato based sauce I generally prefer dry white wine (with a bit of oak) rather than red, a splash of fish sauce doesn't go a miss either.

Incidentally, I would think that in stews and braises tomato and red wine go qiute well together, but local tradition (especially in parts that gravitate towards Italy, in culinary terms) says that tomato based sauces and salsas indeed should be made with dry white.

Would it be wrong to say that tomato is welcome in red wine based dish, whereas in tomato based dish white wine is to be chosen? ^_^

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

On 3/27/2014 at 6:05 PM, SobaAddict70 said:

Wine appears in many recipes for tomato sauce.

One example is Marcella Hazan's recipe for bolognese in "Essentials", pages 203-205.

I'm pretty sure Artusi's has recipes for tomato sauce that contain wine, but will have to check when I get home.

Just sayin'.  :wink:

BTW I never did get around to posting that pic I mentioned above.  Maybe this weekend I will.

I think in cooking rules are meant to be tested. Try it. If you like it that is good for you. If not try an other route.

• Like 1