• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine in pasta sauce

Soave? I am not sure about Italian wine.. i know none about that except French Wine although my knowledge of wine is not really professional but some Italian restaurant using french wine for pasta? Someday i will consider soave.. guess must be expensive..??

Soave doesn't have to be expensive; you can find it for $9.99 just like many other popular wines. It was highly popular some years ago and somewhat of trend like something like Malbec is now. It can have good acidity and be pleasantly fruity as well. It is well worth trying as an entry point into Italian wines which can be very economical. Many of them are also made to be drunk with and used in food too, so that's another reason to give them a shot.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here, but when people use wine in food they are typically looking to add a little complexity and give the food a boost from the wine's acidity. Typically Chardonnay's like those you seem to be using are mellowed out considerably by the way they are aged, so you will have less of the acidity. These wines also tend to be a bit rich, which might not suit your purposes either. Or maybe it does: only you can be the judge and you can only find out what you like by trying things like you're doing.

It would be helpful to know what kind of sauce we're talking about here too. I tend to use wine when I'm making a fish/shellfish sauce. Otherwise, there's generally no wine in my tomato based sauces. But if you like it, go for it. That said, I'd really recommend you try something with good acidity for your sauce. And that typically means looking to France or Italy: there are many excellent values in wine and you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that's really good. You might have to shop around and do some taste testing though (try to find some free wine tastings in your area).

When I cook an Italian pasta sauce, I typically try to use an Italian wine. So look for a Soave with good acid, or something with Sauvignon blanc in it. An Orvieto can be quite nice as well. Some Italian wines can be a bit subtle, but might still work, like Pinot Grigio. There are many others to try too. Have fun with it!

nunc est bibendum...

I use wine ( a little bit reduced ) in pasta all the time. white or red depending. If im adding bacon, then maybe towards red.

for me it matters that it be dry and not have off-tastes. If I like drinking it, then Ill cook with it.

Trader Joe has a Chardonnay from Chile thats only 3.99 in the east might be 2.99 on the west.

its dry, has no off tastes and is great in the summer """chilled""" its not a complicated wine, but tastes better than TJ's Pinot Grigio at 9.99

the rest of TJ's Chile selection disappoints. still its 3.99!

In a heavy tomato based sauce I pretty much always use a small amount of red wine to deglaze the fried onions and garlic.

Just make sure you cook it off so you are not left with a wine taste. Interestingly, in sauces with Bacon I use white wine, but I guess that comes down to personal preference.

Anchovies are a must for me in tomato based sauce....Red wine, anchovies both help make a great base flavour.

Luke

Soave doesn't have to be expensive; you can find it for $9.99 just like many other popular wines. It was highly popular some years ago and somewhat of trend like something like Malbec is now. It can have good acidity and be pleasantly fruity as well. It is well worth trying as an entry point into Italian wines which can be very economical. Many of them are also made to be drunk with and used in food too, so that's another reason to give them a shot.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here, but when people use wine in food they are typically looking to add a little complexity and give the food a boost from the wine's acidity. Typically Chardonnay's like those you seem to be using are mellowed out considerably by the way they are aged, so you will have less of the acidity. These wines also tend to be a bit rich, which might not suit your purposes either. Or maybe it does: only you can be the judge and you can only find out what you like by trying things like you're doing.

It would be helpful to know what kind of sauce we're talking about here too. I tend to use wine when I'm making a fish/shellfish sauce. Otherwise, there's generally no wine in my tomato based sauces. But if you like it, go for it. That said, I'd really recommend you try something with good acidity for your sauce. And that typically means looking to France or Italy: there are many excellent values in wine and you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that's really good. You might have to shop around and do some taste testing though (try to find some free wine tastings in your area).

When I cook an Italian pasta sauce, I typically try to use an Italian wine. So look for a Soave with good acid, or something with Sauvignon blanc in it. An Orvieto can be quite nice as well. Some Italian wines can be a bit subtle, but might still work, like Pinot Grigio. There are many others to try too. Have fun with it!

i agreed with you somehow..no harm to try new wine for tomato-based sauce..i don't think i can buy good italian wine in my area but even wine shop selling good wine..once a while i should spend good stuff to create good tomato based or cream based as well too.. maybe i should take a risk to try soave..

Wine does and can appear in a pasta sauce. Try using a Chianti or a pinot grigio. Doesn't have to be expensive ... in fact, most of the wines I use cost under $15 a bottle.

I see..maybe depend on prices on your country..unlike me.. even cheap and inexpensive such as JACOB'S CREEK - CHARDONNAY costs $20 - $25 a bottle.. >.> no harm to try other wine too.. i have to think twice before buying...

In a heavy tomato based sauce I pretty much always use a small amount of red wine to deglaze the fried onions and garlic.

Just make sure you cook it off so you are not left with a wine taste. Interestingly, in sauces with Bacon I use white wine, but I guess that comes down to personal preference.

Anchovies are a must for me in tomato based sauce....Red wine, anchovies both help make a great base flavour.

Luke

I never thought of using anchovies.. but i can tell it will give tomoto-based a mild flavour too.. sometime i used chicken stock for it..i never use red wine in my tomato based...deglaze fried onion and garlic is good.. but somehow not many chef doing that right.. ?

I think cooking with even a $20/bottle of wine is like making margaritas with $200/bottle tequila. Sure, you can do it. But I think it's a total waste. Cooking will destroy the subtle flavors that make a good wine good.

I can't stand the advice to "cook with the wine you're going to serve with the meal." That's great, but I'm serving a limited release Napa cab that I bought from the vintner. I only have two bottles of it. Do these people really think I'm going to open a THAT wine and pour half of it into a short-rib braise? Besides, the tannic cab is simply the wrong wine for that application. Once it's reduced, it will make the flavors muddy.

I cook with Two Buck Chuck. I like the merlot for red sauces and braises. It's cheap, cheerful, and doesn't have a lot of tannins so I can simmer it for hours.

I use the TBC Pinot Grigio for all manner of cooking applications.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I think cooking with even a $20/bottle of wine is like making margaritas with $200/bottle tequila. Sure, you can do it. But I think it's a total waste. Cooking will destroy the subtle flavors that make a good wine good.

I can't stand the advice to "cook with the wine you're going to serve with the meal." That's great, but I'm serving a limited release Napa cab that I bought from the vintner. I only have two bottles of it. Do these people really think I'm going to open a THAT wine and pour half of it into a short-rib braise? Besides, the tannic cab is simply the wrong wine for that application. Once it's reduced, it will make the flavors muddy.

I cook with Two Buck Chuck. I like the merlot for red sauces and braises. It's cheap, cheerful, and doesn't have a lot of tannins so I can simmer it for hours.

I use the TBC Pinot Grigio for all manner of cooking applications.

That reasons why i have to think twice before buying good wine or else i definitely run their flavor in my tomato-based.. is like no difference from adding chicken stock..French Red Wine any of them sure go well with meat or poultry..

Look like most chef using pinot grigo.. but as long it tastes good itailan pasta.. haha.. im not sure which wine i have to settle or commit with one wine for life.. >.> hopefully i can make good pasta ..^^

Wow it looks like you'll have a tough time trying a variety of wines with those prices! How about a good dry vermouth? Perhaps that might be more available in your area, and I think it does a pretty good job adding a bit of complexity to dishes, especially with fish/shellfish tomato sauces. And it lasts longer too.

As for using the same wine you're going to drink with dinner, clearly you're going to have to use your judgment with that. I don't think people who advocate that are talking about using more precious wines in sauces, though there are dishes like Brasato al Barolo that specifically call for expensive wine. I just use a nebbiolo from Langhe in them, which I do also drink with the dish and it works well. There really is something to say for using good wine in cooking, but good wine doesn't have to be expensive: you can get pretty good stuff for $9.99 where I live.

nunc est bibendum...

Wow it looks like you'll have a tough time trying a variety of wines with those prices! How about a good dry vermouth? Perhaps that might be more available in your area, and I think it does a pretty good job adding a bit of complexity to dishes, especially with fish/shellfish tomato sauces. And it lasts longer too.

As for using the same wine you're going to drink with dinner, clearly you're going to have to use your judgment with that. I don't think people who advocate that are talking about using more precious wines in sauces, though there are dishes like Brasato al Barolo that specifically call for expensive wine. I just use a nebbiolo from Langhe in them, which I do also drink with the dish and it works well. There really is something to say for using good wine in cooking, but good wine doesn't have to be expensive: you can get pretty good stuff for $9.99 where I live.

You can say so..it's something about own chef wants to create good delicious food for guests,just like buying gold or diamond for safekeeping..HAha..Brasato al Barolo is very risky dish to cook due of experiencing..some day will make it if i have cash in my pockets or else.. i dont want to burn my a month's salary for it.. HAHA.. By the way? what about cream - based sauce? I used unsalted butter and some handful of herbs and some good italian wine too.. guess.. its same thing like tomatoes-based sauce..sometime i eat it with spaghetti.. finds it hard to swallow due to thicken cream..i make it light and easy to eat by adding egg yolk..

I live in NYC.

A $10 bottle of pinot grigio is pretty cheap.

At those prices it would be worth it to make a road trip to New Hampshire every few months and buy wine from one of the state liquor stores.

Here in Vegas, I can get a decent pinot grigio for $4 and a pretty good one for $10. Even with those prices, I'll make the trip to Napa once in awhile to load up for 25% less.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

That's pretty expensive. How much for sweet vermouth? A somewhat acceptable substitute in my book.

you using sweet vermouth for pasta? or for any meat or poultry with it? ya.. pretty expensive.. unless i travel in NYC or somewhere..given a good and better price and wine too..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Wine in tomato sauce is not very Italian and these two wines are in the French style, but have you considered Soave, a wonderful Italian wine?

Wine appears in many recipes for tomato sauce.

One example is Marcella Hazan's recipe for bolognese in "Essentials", pages 203-205.

I'm pretty sure Artusi's has recipes for tomato sauce that contain wine, but will have to check when I get home.

Just sayin'.  :wink:

BTW I never did get around to posting that pic I mentioned above.  Maybe this weekend I will.