• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The ABT Topic (Atomic Buffalo Turds)

Borgstrom

I was recently introduced to the addictive joys of ABTs, otherwise known as Atomic Buffalo Turds. Long a favorite in the BBQ enthusiast community, they rarely seem to be discussed here on eGullet.

To the uninitiated, ABTs are stuffed, wrapped and smoked/grilled jalepeno peppers. From what I can tell, there are as many ABT recipes as there are BBQers. My first experience was pretty basic -- a jalepeno cut in half & deseeded, filled with cream cheese flavored with spice rub, wrapped in bacon and smoked using indirect heat at about 250F until the bacon was done. The taste just amazing -- smoke permeated the cheese and bacon while the jalepeno developed a deep roasted flavor balanced with just the right amount of heat. They have quickly become a required part of any weekend BBQ for us.

What's your favorite way to make ABTs?

We call these fire bites, always popular in the fall when we're watching football. We've smoked them and baked them on occasion, but other than cooking some bacon first and chopping it into the cream cheese, we don't vary off of the basic formula.

I use a mix of chedder and cream cheeses and scallions. I'm thinking of adding some liquid smoke, since I usually cook these in the oven.

I have to wear gloves because the juices that get sprayed from scraping the peppers irritate my hands like nothing else.

Also a variation using habeneros.

Great post :smile:

I have recently become addicted to these tasty little morsels

I have been spicing up the cream cheese with a little seasoning and then I have been using ground breakfast sausage to make a nice little cap to hold the cheese in. That is then wrapped in a loving blanket of bacon :laugh:

Also found that a 50/50 mix of sour cream and mayo makes a great dipping sauce.

If you ever have leftovers(ya right)try them sliced on a pizza...killer!!!

Shane

Halved, seeded, filled with cream cheese and a lil smokie. Then wrapped in a half slice of bacon and smoked for a couple hours or so.

At a barbecue competition a few years ago one of my teammates brought along a turkey fryer and we battered and deep fried the previously smoked ABT's. Supergood but 2 was my limit.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

That reminds me--I have a bag of frozen jalapenos from last years garden--time for ABT's.

I use chileheadmike's recipe.

I bought 'Mucho Nacho' jalapenos for the garden this year--they are supposed to be giant jalapenos, and I think they will make great ABTs.

sparrowgrass

At a barbecue competition a few years ago one of my teammates brought along a turkey fryer and we battered and deep fried the previously smoked ABT's. Supergood but 2 was my limit.

Oh man, I have been thinking about that :smile:

With some batter/breading, you can cover all the food groups :laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the idea

Shane

Halved, seeded, filled with cream cheese and a lil smokie. Then wrapped in a half slice of bacon and smoked for a couple hours or so.

Ditto. Same preparation, and that was a great night with the turkey fryer...back before the American Royal BBQ was annoyingly corporate. I think 2 was my limit as well....but that was 2 fifths of Knob Creek....so I probably knocked out about 20 of those deep fried ABT's!

They really are magical, but I wouldn't recommend the battered and fried version...those are only for late nights at competitions.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

ABTs are always a hit as a party appetizer, and simple to make - split/de-seeded jalapeno + softened cream cheese + bacon.

I always have a stash caramelized onions and roasted garlic in EVOO on hand in the refrigerator. I mince some of each, and add to the cream cheese. I usually have a supply of leftover smoked pulled pork or brisket in the freezer. I thaw some, mince, and also add to the cheese. Sometimes, I'll add a little honey to the cream cheese. I find thin cut bacon works best, and I partially cook it by poaching or in the microwave. I smoke the ABTs at 225F for 1.5-2 hours. When they're done, I brush 1/2 of the batch with a favorite BBQ sauce, and finish them on a gas grill for a few minutes to set a glaze.

The ABTs always go fast, and it always seems like I never make enough.

That reminds me--I have a bag of frozen jalapenos from last years garden--time for ABT's.

I use chileheadmike's recipe.

I bought 'Mucho Nacho' jalapenos for the garden this year--they are supposed to be giant jalapenos, and I think they will make great ABTs.

I grew Mucho Nachos a couple of years ago. They were very prolific and very large, almost too big for ABT's. I've since moved to Biker Billy's. Not quite as big but noticeably hotter and just as many.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Fill with cheese, sprinkle with granulated garlic then wrap with half a piece of bacon. If you let bacon reach room temperature it can be stretched and would stick to it self as you wrap. Refrigerate for a while before smoking, you won't need to use toothpicks.

215_1597.jpg

oh, yumm, forgot all about these delicious little things! Had them at the BGEgg fest last year, must make my own! But do they really need a couple hours of smoking? The bacon is smoked already, how long do these take at 250-300 degree? So tasty :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog