• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special menu

ngatti

Back in August I was auctioned off to cook dinner for 10 in someones home. Well the date approaches (this Saturday) and after eating around all year and reading many magazines, I've completed the sourceing and the menu.

I've decided on three amuse bouches:

1. "Bacon and Eggs" (a lift from T. Keller)

(two sunny side up quail eggs with Pancetta and white truffled grits)

2. Lobster poached Cape Nedick Oyster (Lift from H. Keller)

(Oyster poached in Lobster stock, place back into the shell warm, lobster gelee' and pea puree)

3. Foie Gras Burger (H. Keller again)

(small Brioche roll with slab of Foie Gras and shallot marmalade)

The main meal:

"Crudo Trio"

(Scuba Dived Scallop; Sashimi Fluke: and Bigeye Tuna all served raw with Laudemio Olive Oil and Fleur de Sel)

Choux Fleur Vichyssoise with whipped Creme Fraiche and Sevruga Caviar.

Seared very rare Tuna: White Beans, warm aioli wilted Frisee and Pancetta Gribenes.

Intermezzo

Boneless Quail rolled around Foie Gras layered with white Truffle. All wrapped in Savoy Cabbage Leaf with Quail jus

Dry Aged Prime Loin de Boeuf; Yukon Gold Mash, Chanterelles and Haricot vert. Cabernet Sauce

pre dessert:

Porcelein Spoons of Saffron Rice Pudding

Dessert:

"Claudia Flemings" Chocolate Trio

Truffles, petit four, madeleines

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

Very nice, Nick. How many cooks do you have?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Very nice, Nick. How many cooks do you have?

Five cooks/chefs, five utility.

I'll do most of the place myself. It's only for 10 people. Much place is done already (stocks, etc). I'll also get a pretty early start over the next two days.

Nick

Great.

Oh, here's a question. Do you use the roe (coral) from your diver's scallops?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Great.

Oh, here's a question. Do you use the roe (coral) from your diver's scallops?

No Jin, They come in cleaned. They are huge, though. About U-8 in size. All I have to do is remove the side muscle. They are among the freshest things I've ever encountered.

Nick

I see. I don't understand why it isn't used in North America. On well.

No Jin,  They come in cleaned.  They are huge, though.  About U-8 in size.  All I have to do is remove the side muscle.  They are among the freshest things I've ever encountered.

Nick

No wonder you didn't follow up on the scallops!

I'll take the

Boneless Quail rolled around Foie Gras layered with white Truffle. All wrapped in Savoy Cabbage Leaf with Quail/Truffle

Dry Aged Prime Loin de Boeuf; Yukon Gold Mash, Chanterelles and Haricot vert. Cabernet Sauce

Sorry Nickn. I have a couple of sources of my own. I've been getting great "Top of the Catch" Cod and Striper. Terriffic Peeky Toe (jonah meat) and Fluke to die for. These guys that I use have really been looking out for me. The quality of their European stuff (Sardines Octopus etc.) is also great.

Nick

Shermar, I had just assumed I would be getting both. :blink:

Gee that sounds great but it seems like a lot of food. Are both meat courses really necessary?

I guess if the portions are small...

Do you have to take care of the wine as well?

Not to worry. It will all be tasting portions. Actually, I had to limit the number of courses.

I wanted to "progress" the menu from tune ups (amuse) to cold/fish/room temp soup/warm fish, to hot/heavy/progressivly darker meat.

Wine will be paired by the Dining Room Manager. I thnk we supply wine as well as bartender and waitstaff.

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Lizziee! Great to read ya!

Nick

Gee that sounds great but it seems like a lot of food. Are both meat courses really necessary?

I guess if the portions are small...

Do you have to take care of the wine as well?

Too much food? :blink: I wish I had that problem.

Can I sit next to you at the egullet feast though? :smile::wink::laugh:

Menus like this remind me I need a better job. :wink:

Sounds fabulous, Nick.
Terriffic Peeky Toe (jonah meat)

Peekytoe and Jonah crab are the same thing?

So I've been told. But Nickn would know better.

The peeky toe is incredibly fresh tasting and sweet. It has a similar texture to the meat from a Jonah claw. The claws are IQF (frozen) so they don't taste as nice. A little stringier to me.

edit: Thanks Joe

Gknl: Wanna Switch??? :smile:

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

Congratulations Nick.