• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Peterson's "Glorious French Food"

hansjoakim

I just borrowed a copy of James Peterson's "Glorious French Food" from my local library, and I'm pretty excited about the range of recipes and the bits of kitchen science sprinkled throughout the pages of the book. I believe it was first published back in 2002, and I am wondering if fellow eGullet'ers have tried any of the recipes in the book? If you've read it, what do you think of it?

There's an old thread about the book here TDG: Is Glorious French Food Glorious? that's quite interesting to read. I would very much like to read the book review by Suzanne Fass, but I haven't located it online yet. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks all! :smile:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply! You wrote interesting thoughts on the book already in the TDG thread. I've browsed and read chapters here and there the last couple of days, and I'm quite impressed as well.

Edited by hansjoakim (log)

I like this book a lot for history, technique, general information, structure, etc...

But beware of the details of some recipes. Pay special attention to things like cooking times and temperatures. Some are just way off (I suspect editing issues). The book offers a curious opportunity to become an expert on certain French dishes and then incinerate them.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly