• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Job interview

jakey

I have a second interview with the x chef and the manager and I am kind of worried about how to let them realize I want to do my best. Any ideas? Please? My first interview was kind of lame, but they are giving me a chance. I have no new clothes, so anything else would be helpful.

Make sure you let them know that this isn't just a job for you, it's your vocation. It's what you love to do, what you've trained to do, it's what you want to do for your whole life. You want to do your best and always get better, learning and growing, making the restaurant better. Good luck.

Ask for a cooking try out. In the past I would have said ask for a one night shadow, but free labor is for suckas.

As long as you've got good attitude and communication skills, you don't have to worry too much about clothes, unless they are absolute rubbish. It's not like you're applying to the FOH.

Second interview is a good sign. At this point they are more then likely looking for reasons to not hire you, then to hire you, if you catch my meaning.

Let them know that you understand that you'll have to learn to do things the way that they want it done, and that you're eager to learn it. Everyone expects a knowledge of the basics (like knife skills) but every place makes their dishes a little differently and they'll expect you to make things to their standards -not your old boss' standards. The most desirable candidates are people who want to learn their business, and techniques -not know-it-alls who don't adapt to the program.

You should also try to convey the fact that you're energetic, motivated, organized, and take cleaning up seriously.

Did you get a read from the manager and chef during your first interview as to what is important to them? Skills, eagerness to learn, reliability, loyalty? If so, be prepared to present how you relate to the criteria they are stressing.

How tight is the labor market? Are they hurting for employees or the opposite? If it is a seller's market share the onus with them - let them persuade you why their position is the best fit for your career goals.

A bit of subtle ego stroking if you can do so with a straight face and not be blatant about it - the reputation of the restaurant, becoming a member of such a skilled kitchen team, the need for a mentor at this point in your career.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Just be yourself. And try to be "enthusiastic" not "overeager due to desperation." Most people speak fast when they're nervous. Take a breath before every answer and think about it for a couple seconds.

Let's get back to your clothes. Dress for the job you want. You're applying for a kitchen job. You should have a pair of black kitchen shoes (not sneakers), check pants, and a jacket. Wear them to the interview. If you don't have them, make that a priority. The shoes can be expensive, but chex and a white jacket are cheap, and you're going to need them anyway when you get a kitchen job.

And make sure they're clean -- no stains -- and freshly ironed. No wrinkles. It shows you care.

EDIT - Extraneous word removed.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Let's get back to your clothes. Dress for the job you want. You're applying for a kitchen job. You should have a pair of black kitchen shoes (not sneakers), check pants, and a jacket. Wear them to the interview. If you don't have them, make that a priority. The shoes can be expensive, but chex and a white jacket are cheap, and you're going to need them anyway when you get a kitchen job.

And make sure they're clean -- no stains -- and freshly ironed. No wrinkles. It shows you care.

I have to disagree with this. I would not expect a cook to come to a non-working interview in uniform. I think it is weird when I see people in chefs clothes when they are not in the kitchen, for example I had an intern who arrived fully dressed for work, took the bus, walked through downtown, etc. Why not wait until you're ready to work to put on your chef coat? In part it seems unclean to me to be out and about in your cooking clothes, and in part maybe I just hate wearing chef coats and avoid them when unnecessary. Also, checks seem very institutional to me, like only schools and old school corporate places require them. Most cooks I know wear black or pinstriped Chefwear. One chef de cuisine had an issue with me wearing my black jacket to work because he took it to mean I thought I was special (no, just prefer black to white), but I don't think anyone I've worked for has cared about pants color/pattern.

Check out any government funded employment services in your area. Often they run interview skills workshops and can offer you pointers and tips. Also, they often have funding available for things like a new pair of shoes, or pants or even a knife if you need it. Often also they can fund things like transportation for the first two weeks of the job if you get it.

Also get some answers ready to go...think of answers to questions like 'give me an example of a time something went horribly wrong and you had to fix it' and the ever famous 'what are your weaknesses' and the answer to that is NEVER 'I'm a perfectionist' or 'sometimes I get too invested in the task'. Trying to pick a weakness that makes you look good just makes you look like a doofus. Everyone has weaknesses. Just say you have lots, but you are smart enough to know when to ask for help from people with different skill sets.

If you haven't already, and you can afford it, eat at the restaurant before the interview so you can speak first hand about a couple of dishes. If you can't least go online and memorize the current menu if you can.

Good Luck!!!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

If you think wearing new clothes (or chex and a white jacket) would make you feel more confident (I know it works for me), then by all means check out your local Goodwill or Value Village - I see perfectly good (sometimes brand new with tags) clothes of all kinds there, for a whole lot less than retail. There's nothing wrong with buying clothes second-hand!

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how it turns out.

Try and take a peek inside the kitchen between now and the interview. How are the line cooks dressed? That's how you should dress.

In this crap economy, the chef and manager are going to see a bunch of people dressed in jeans and t-shirts. Unless they have stellar credentials, they're not getting the job.

They're also going to see a lot of people with little to no restaurant experience, because jobs are scarce. These people are going to wear shirt and tie. They're probably not getting hired either.

When I interviewed for restaurant work, I dressed like I was going to be hired on the spot, and brought a basic knife roll with me. One chef questioned me about this: "Why are you wearing a jacket and carrying gear?"

"Because if you say, 'Get in the kitchen and start dicing onions,' I'm ready to go."

It took awhile, but I was offered the position. (But by then, I had found the job I was looking for, so I declined.)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I went to the interview today and they really are looking for a leader for the catering/bakery part. That is what I love to do. I tried to let them know that I can lead and am a total team player (exec chef is real big on that). I have my whites and my knives and tools are ready to go. Didn't want to wear/take them because I would have just felt odd about it. Now I have a third interview. On the spot on today's show, I was asked to make three different desserts using boxed yellow cake. Plus pate choux, chocolate mousse, fresh fruit tart, pastry cream, and my friends and family favorite dessert to eat that I make. I had to check out the kitchen, see what needed to be ordered and to come back whenever I felt like on Thursday and do my thing. In the hour that I had, I figured I would make vanilla roasted pineapple slices with coconut pastry cream and a pineapple flavored yellow cake; a very loose riff on Opera cake (and I do mean loose), flavor the cake with almonds, top with coffee flavored buttercream and chocolate ganache; and a simple twinkie like cake filled with either buttercream or pastry cream. Pate choux baked and topped with caramel; strawberry tart with pate sucree; and this really dense chocolate mousse with creme anglaise and chopped pistachios-doubles for favorite and mousse. Just have to figure out the timing on all this and get their as early as I can, so if I do screw something up, I have time to fix it. The job economy is crap, but they are looking for someone with experience and passion. Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated!

Thanks, my confidence was there, but I crashed and burned. I was sick the whole time (a combination of nerves and a very irritated ulcer). I got all my product out, but they picked at everything except presentation. I'm okay with it; sometimes it just happens.

Bummer. But I have to say the fact that you were in the weeds yet took even a short time out to post on egullet that you were in the weeds didn't bode well from my POV. I appreciate the urge to get it off your chest and the distraction of technology, but you may have been better off focusing on getting out of the weeds. Better luck next time.