• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining on your own

Deus Mortus

I don't mind it myself though do feel a little akward at times.

I made my first visit to a Michelin star restaurant last year and went alone. This was because I was in Paris by myself having done the marathon there. A friend and his girlfriend had been with me for the marathon but I knew it was something they wouldn't really appreciate so went after they'd gone home (I was staying another 5 days to sight see by myself).

Went to Michel Rostang and found it a great setting and the head waiter was superb at making me feel at ease. Frequently came and chatted with me both about the menu and in general.

Interestingly in that restaurant, of the 5 or 6 tables that were occupied 3 of them were lone men! That is unless you discount the 1 gent who had been allowed to have his dog under his table with him!

Though i'm not sure what to think about a dog being in a fine dining restaurant it was well behaved and seemed to go towards the relaxed feel of the place and he seemed like a regular from the way he spoke to the other lone man and the head waiter.

I enjoy dining out alone. I usually find myself doing it when I have to attend some event in the evening after the dinner hour, but there isn't enough time between work and the event to justify commuting home. I'll usually take it as an opportunity to check out a new restaurant or to order something my wife is allergic to (we usually try to get things we can share, if we're going out together).