• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning a wood kitchen floor

Fat Guy

Poly coated. What's your strategy?

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

All you really need is a damp mop or sponge.

Ditto.

Love my wood floors. :wub: :wub: Never have anything else again. And we live on a farm on a dirt road with big dirty dogs and no one takes off shoes to come into the home.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Third'd the damp mop or sponge. *sigh* I wish I had wood floors in the kitchen, but sadly although the rest of the house has lovely cinnamonwood parquet which is very easy on the feet, my kitchen is tiled.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

White-stained beech (?), uncoated. Since we're trying to sell our place, this means down on my hands and knees with a scrubbing brush, like the slavey out of a scene from Upstairs, Downstairs. Usually, this is completely neglected until the estate agent phones to say someone wants to see the place, which is when I panic and start scrabbling at the bottom of the kitchen closet for the scrubbing brush. My boyfriend is happy to do this, but misses spots, and leaves very odd swirls of soap behind, so I'm sort of stuck with it.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I take a clean small towel, and run hot water over it ,then wring it out tilljust damp, then sprayit with windex,

and clean the floors, the windex provides some cleaning power, without leaving any residue on the floor, which if you ever have to have it "screened and recoated",will allow same, (IE,it will not have to be sanded,before recoat,because new finish will "stick" ok ..

Bud

We pulled up the layers of linoleum over our kitchen hardwood a couple of years ago and refinished it. The damp mop or sponge was always fine with a little light cleaner only on bad spots, but then we got a steam mop. Now, we don't need cleaner at all, and the results are gorgeous.

We pulled up the layers of linoleum over our kitchen hardwood a couple of years ago and refinished it. The damp mop or sponge was always fine with a little light cleaner only on bad spots, but then we got a steam mop. Now, we don't need cleaner at all, and the results are gorgeous.

What's a steam mop?

Swiffer to keep dirt and dust at bay between cleanings. There are various cleaning products for wood floors that I've tried, all seem to work. Use with a microfiber mop (then throw the mop head in the wash). I did it this morning, it definitely gets dirt the swiffer leaves behind.

Swiffer to keep dirt and dust at bay between cleanings. There are various cleaning products for wood floors that I've tried, all seem to work. Use with a microfiber mop (then throw the mop head in the wash). I did it this morning, it definitely gets dirt the swiffer leaves behind.

Now you're making me feel like a complete slob. :blink:

The damp mop or sponge was always fine with a little light cleaner only on bad spots, but then we got a steam mop. Now, we don't need cleaner at all, and the results are gorgeous.

What brand of steam mop do you use? I've seen such mixed reviews on them, not sure if I should get one or not. Some say they leave too much water on the floor.

I use an electric broom for daily sweeping up and either a swiffer with the hardwood floor cleaner or the hardwood floor cleaner from Zep at Home depot. I'd love to know more about the steam mop!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Now you're making me feel like a complete slob. :blink:

That's because you're assuming that I mop often. Au contraire. Truth is, when it comes to floors, I'm pretty lazy.

I must check out those steam mops, those sound interesting.

That swiffer wet jet or what ever it's called works wonderful! Get the wood floor solution bottle and off you go. I do it very rarely, but it makes even our old crappy cheap wood floor look like new. I'd never find myself with a brush scrubbing like a deckhand on a galleon, but with this thing it's quick, easy and clean in no time.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog