• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Beer Prices - Lousy Beer Prices

Porthos

Tonight I was in my local chain supermarket and saw the unbelievably high price on Miller Genuine Draft. I then went to Total wines and bought a 6-pack of Pilsner Urquel for the same per-bottle cost as the cost of the MGD at the supermarket. Is it any wonder that I never buy beer at a supermarket any more? Just saying...

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

I went into the local bottlo (Booze shop) here in South Australia just to check the prices on some well known beers:

Miller Genuine Draft: $19.99 per six pack.

Same price for Pabst Blue Ribbon (Which I have seen referred to as very cheap low rent beer).

Even the locally brewed stuff is around $16 - 22 bucks a six pack.

If you want to have a laugh at the poor aussies and how much we pay for beer, have a look at this site:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/dm/search/dm_search_results.jsp?filterCategory=2534374302026035&filterText=International%20Beer

(Aussie dollar is about 93 US cents...)

Cheers, Prang

At least you can buy beer in a supermarket.  Here in Canada, land of beer, you have to either go to the gov't store or to the privately owned/American owned Beer Store -- I think Anheuser is one of the owners.  Beer Store's prices are high (so are the gov't stores)...and all the profits go out of Canada.  The Anheuser-owned Beer Store also doesn't sell many local Canadian-made craft beers, of which there are many.  How this makes ANY sense, I don't know.  There was a push recently to break the B.S.'s monopoly in Ontario by allowing grocery stores to sell beer, but the liberal premier decided it wasn't a very good idea.  So, if you want to drink good beer, you go to the brewery or you go to a pub.  Still expensive but at least it's good!

its all about $$$$

some in tax, some in 'distributorships'  the Gov. hands out to its pals, cousins and nephews.

that second part is the way in N.E.

every bottle of wine at TJ's  adds 1 buck  ( 3 buck chuck not 2 buck ) that goes to some crony of the elected smart asses.

who in tern wet their beaks  

I havent been North of the Boarder in some time, but back when at least a bottle of OK wine in a restaurant doubled the price of the meal for one.

Edited by rotuts (log)

wow   is the price of AUS beer a tax issue ?

Sierra Nevada   

$105.99 per case of 12

It is. All alcohol here--although not so much with Australian wine--is subject to high taxes. There's always constant chatter, too, about raising them on public health grounds. Higher taxes = lower consumption, apparently. It's probably worth noting, though, that our incomes are a bit higher. ~$50 for a case of most kinds of beer isn't as obscene as you'd think.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between