• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slicing bread

Fat Guy

Do you slice it thick, thin, on the bias, never? I'm starting to realize that there's a lot of variation here.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I love a good thick slice, when I eat baguettes I tend to slice on a bias, otherwise not.

Edited by Deus Mortus (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

You need to add 'rip' to your list :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

It really depends. Typically, when I bake bread at home I slice up what we need then freeze. Thickness varies on the bread and what I think it will be used for, but typically with crusty breads (which is what I tend to make) I slice thinner than thicker.

On a picnic with a great baguette? You'll probably see me rip it or bite the baguette directly. If I need to serve the same baguette to others and make it look good then I cut on a bias.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Because I don't go through bread very fast, I try to slice a whole loaf and freeze it so I can take out pieces as I want them. Because I want bread in different sizes, I try to slice some for bruschetta or crostini (fairly thin), some for toast (thicker), and some chunks that I can split for garlic bread or sandwiches.

For fresh breads that have recently exited the oven, I tear them. After that, thick slices for honey whole wheat, and for black breads, slices so thin that you can see light through them; ideally 1/8" or less.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Because I don't go through bread very fast, I try to slice a whole loaf and freeze it so I can take out pieces as I want them. Because I want bread in different sizes, I try to slice some for bruschetta or crostini (fairly thin), some for toast (thicker), and some chunks that I can split for garlic bread or sandwiches.

I do what JAZ does, exactly.

I usually slice bread to the "standard" thickness but occasionally slice it thicker if needed for a particular purpose. I also have a gadget that allows me to split a regular slice into two very thin slices.

I use this slicing box (made of maple) for regular and double thick slices. After breaking two or three of the ones with plastic guides, I ordered this from Lehman's (they no longer carry it) several years ago. It is heavy, sturdy and deep enough to take most loaves. (5 1/2 inch tall, inside).

The piece of shelf/drawer liner under it is to keep it from sliding.

slicing guide.JPGslicing guide 1.JPG

The knife has a 12-inch blade.

When she couldn't find one like this, one of my neighbors sent her husband over to take measurements and he made one that is actually prettier than mine as he used different woods.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett