• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with small tart crusts

Michael M

I tried once before to make a regular pie/tart dough and put it in my 2.5" (or 3") individual fluted, non-stick tart shells. I made some sort of fruit tart (without pastry cream). Most were very difficult to remove. I buttered the shells as well.

Would a higher sugar content be helpful? Pate sucre? I'm making sour cherry tarts and I'd like to have them come out! Otherwise I'll just make one large one.

I'm just an amateur, btw, but a frustrated one. Cute little tarts are so appealing at dinner parties!

Buttering the shells may have been your problem. Butter is 20% water, and the water content will tend to make the starch in the flour of the dough expand and become sticky. A good crust dough doesn't need any help, you shouldn't ever have to grease a pie pan.

More sugar won't help, it can burn and will definitely increase the sticking factor since much of it will invert during the cooking process.

Sucre dough is good, if that's what you want in terms of flavor.

Otherwise, a regular short-dough pie crust should be just fine. You may wish to seek out a recipe that replaces some/all of the ice water with vodka, for a little more no-stick insurance. Remember that resting the dough is an important step, and, keep everything you work with cold.

Good luck!

And if you like buying kitchen equipment, you can get tiny individual tartlet pans w/removable bottoms, which makes it easier to get the baked shell out of the tin.

I have these and I swear by them.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.