• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reference Thermometers and Calibration Methods for Cooking Sous Vide

PedroG

The probe is inserted and left in.

I have the ThermoWorks Therma K and needle probe, it works just fine but doesn't have an alarm like the TW8060 which is very handy.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is the place to present your reference thermometer you use to calibrate your sous vide equipment.

Your description should include model and manufacturer, URL to the manufacturer's website (if possible, deep link to the model), price in USD (ca.), resolution, accuracy, probe type, your comments and experiences (e.g. result of repeat calibrations, cost of recalibration).

After eventual discussion ("peer review"), the thermometer model may be included in the market overview in the wikiGullet article Reference thermometer.

The above link to the wikiGullet will display a blank page, as wikiGullet is no longer being maintained. You find a copy of the page here:

Reference thermometer

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory