• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Culinary Short Cuts

Eman57

That chicken lamb thing is a nightmare. But also on a sidenote one becomes desensitized the longer you work and the more you see. Cockroaches in blanching water, etc.

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

Worst sins I've seen were raw meat in the deep fryer, and--get this, dumping a flat of whole, shell eggs in the Hobart, put the paddle in, let 'er rip for a minute or two, then strain through a chnoise to gt "liquid eggs" for the B'fst buffet.

Lollol, that's kinda how the real shelling machines work. I've seen em demoed at restaurant conventions. They look kinda like upright washers. You dump in a whole cube of shell eggs. Let er rip. Liquid eggs come out of the spigot into your bucket. The busted up shells are retained in the drum for you to empty.

Yeah, seriously, it may be lazy but it also sounds smart. What's wrong with this?

Nothing inherently, but I recall an incident of food poisoning some years ago invoving the Egg King and a cook who didn't wash his hands before handling the eggs, and this presumes the shells are clean to begin with.

Liquid eggs from a HACCP-accredited facility are one thing, but I would have fits if I saw that happening here - it only flies if the eggs are washed, which doesn't happen in every country. I open the carton at the supermarket not only to check for broken eggs, but also for very dirty ones, because I prefer my scrambled eggs without a poop garnish.

That chicken lamb thing is a nightmare. But also on a sidenote one becomes desensitized the longer you work and the more you see. Cockroaches in blanching water, etc.

Cockroach in the ice cream...and the kitchen hand was going to dish out around it because he couldn't be asked going to the other freezer to get a fresh bucket.

Aye, but that was off-topic. I've seen demi-glace made in an instant with aromat, soy sauce and bovril. I've seen a creme brulee from start to finish in one minute. It involved natural yoghurt, vanilla essence and eggs done in a micro. Quite impressive actually.

To me the most disgraceful are the chefs who cook with powders of stock or sauce. The central kitchen that serves 600 meals per night are making roux from powder... Really, you don't have time to fry flour and butter?

I'm working in a 5* hotel.

Edit: le spell cheque

Edited by Karri (log)

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

I think I'm going to have to forget this entire thread before I can go out to eat again..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".