• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies

thayes1c

Alright, my fellow eGulleteers, a surgeon in the hospital where I work has thrown down the gauntlet. Whoever can bake the best black walnut chocolate chip cookies (judged by the surgeon himself) walks away with the prize. I've never really cooked with black walnuts, but I'm willing to try. I was leaning towards taking some risks with it, maybe tracking down some nocino and adding that, maybe even adding some miso for a secret flavor boosting ingredient. Or maybe I should just go traditional on this one. What say you?

(I've already thought about tracking him down and saying "Oh, hey. Do you have a good recipe for cookies?" but I don't think he'd fall for it.)

Get the best walnuts you can find, in the shell if your up to it. toast the lightly in the oven not on the stove. Add it to a chewy cookie and you have a winner.

Walnuts are either great or horrible IMO, good ones make all the difference.

Agree with toasting the black walnuts. Stay traditional, but use very high quality, 70%-cocoa, hand-chopped chocolate chunks instead of packaged chips. If you want to bend tradition a bit, add some dried cherries to the batter.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Chunks are good, but I have to say I really like the Guittard chips I've been seeing in the market recently

Ooh, I want to shop at your market.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer