• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place to buy a premium piece of dead cow?

pastameshugana

I've been to the (one) local butcher, and there's some decent stuff, but I'm looking to buy something special.

Where would you recommend I go online for a reliably excellent pair of steaks to be shipped to me? I just need enough for two people, and I'm not picky about the cut, as long as it's truly excellent.

Any recommendations of vendors you've had a good experience with? Any specific products?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Paradise Locker Meats in Trimble, Missouri, is my "local butcher"...about 20 minutes from my house. I know they ship a lot of stuff, the selection is always changing (ignore what's listed on the website), and as far as customer service they are great to deal with. They usually have Akaushi cuts in stock, Wagyu, Piedmontese, and a Vintage breed that is about half the price of Wagyu with comparable quality. If you call them and happen to talk to Nick or his mom, mention you got their info from "Jerry the guy who made you track down a case of brisket points". As a point of reference, if they have their top-tier Akaushi ribeyes or filets in stock, I think they are in the $40/lb range, and have been running a $19.99/lb sale on the Wagyu.

http://www.paradisemeats.com/

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

thanks for the tip on Bryan's

I bet that midwest beef cap SV to rare (125 ) sliced with Worlds Best Mashed Pots. is to die for.

I think the cap is best a little more done, but otherwise you are correct, it is amazing.

If you Post your location, I'm sure someone can come up with a good local butcher for some Prime beef, dry aged or not.

The cost of Overnight shipping will equal the cost of your product but I have had good experience with Lobel's.-Dick

If you Post your location, I'm sure someone can come up with a good local butcher for some Prime beef, dry aged or not.

The cost of Overnight shipping will equal the cost of your product but I have had good experience with Lobel's.-Dick

Bud, we're in Hobbs, NM.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

For Bryan's Fine Foods - my shipping to Texas has always been $45 or 50 regardless of how much I ordered (I've never had a really small order), so you get better "leverage" on shipping costs if you order a decent amount; I usually go for 1 or 2 of the really primo stuff and then some reasonable things (Short ribs, skirt steak, burgers, etc.) to average it down a bit.

ETA: Just checked - to get 2 lbs of boneless short ribs sent was $40; to add on a whole ribeye was $10 more (7 2 inch steaks, so cost went from 40 dollars per item to $8/item; obviously still expensive either way, but much more manageable).

Edited by bmdaniel (log)