• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

nonblonde007

I bought a small 1 1/2 lb, butterflied leg of lamb that I would like to fix. I searched the forums and can't locate a way to prepare it other than on the grill and mine is not working at the moment. Does anyone have any great recipes and preparations for this small cut they would like to share with me? I am open to all suggestions and have many ingredients. Thanks all.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

What I can't find is how long to roast and what temp for such a small piece of lamb. I would like it medium rare, at least I understand that is how leg should be, and I could be wrong. Should it be broiled? Or again, wrong cut of meat?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

One of my most successful dinner party mains is Butterflied Leg of Lamb. You can grill or broil it. Recipe here:

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 months later...

I use Julia Child's simple recipe which can be roasted(with a few minutes under the broiler) or grilled. she simply marinates it for at least an hour in a bit of lemon juice, soy sauce, rosemary and olive oil (after brushing the boned side with olive oil), then for a 5 lb lamb she roasts at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes. the lamb usually varies from l-3 inches in thickness so if that's the case separate the roast into 2 or 3 since obviously some will cook faster than others. yours weighs less but it may have similar thicknesses. so you might check at 12 minutes on the thinest pieces. i am scrupulous about removing almost all of the fat although I'm reconsidering that because a bit more on the top would probably lead to a crisper, richer product. Good luck.

I too like the stuffed, rolled and roasted option. Garlic and onion softened in olive oil with rosemary and mint on the inside.

gallery_42214_6041_10108.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I don't use the recipe per se anymore, but my favorite way to make butterflied leg of lamb comes from a "Gourmet Menus" centerfold from the 1980s (I think it was a June issue with a father's day theme). The lamb is pounded to an even thickness, marinated in a bottle of good red wine with some olive oil, onions, carrot, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, fresh parsley, s+P for 1-2 days, then grilled about 10 min ea side over med-hot coals to med-rare. Dee-lish.

Contrary to other suggestions I like to slow roast leg of lamb.

I stuff it with a paste of Dijon mustard, garlic, crushed fresh rosemary and soy sauce. Roll & tie it.

Then roast in the oven at about 120-130 C. Keep checking the internal temperature so you get the degree of doneness you want.

Finish off under the broiler to give the lamb a nice crust.

Let rest. Carve & serve.

Yummy!

• 11 years later...

I have a butterflied leg of lamb that has been in my freezer since the winter before the pandemic.  I'd like to do something differnet, some version of Mexican lamb barbacoa.  Except my barbacoa has to be the oven kind . . .

I'm interested in anyone's confirmed-tasty seasonings for Mexican lamb barbacoa.  Meat has gotten so expensive that I am kinda terrified to just, you know, try something.  Which makes me sad.  But that's another thread . . . .

• Like 1

@SLB 

can you cut the lamb in 1/2 , so you get to try two different things ?

there is probably a thicker part

abd a thinker lower part

cut it so the two pieces might be of different thickness , 

but each one is a similar thickness .  

you will have a better chance of getting the doneness in each to your liking

What is ' mexican ' to you ?  for me , its cumin .   toast some cumin , cool and grind.

or get a fresh unopened jar 

then get some good quality single chile powder   you could make your own

but Id use that.   a fresh jar

then think  about fresh additions , after the powder and salt ( to you taste )

you can salt on your plate , remember   refrigerate for a day

open flat  on a rack in your oven,  pick a temp that gets you the inner tamp you like

rest , thinly carve .  add the diced up fresh  :  cilantro leaves  ? onion ? Line juice ?

sound like a very interesting project.

plus post pics ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Butterflied lamb was a thing for on the BBQ grill back in the Sunset days Magazine days  I love it. I'd take the Serious Eats thing as an outline, N need for smoe amd adjust seasonngs to your taste. I do like to include a sliced juice orange as a bed.  https://www.seriouseats.com/smoked-lamb-barbacoa-recipe  Hope you post your results so we can drool.

• Like 2