• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Free restaurant take-home gifts

mabelmaguire

I'm researching an article on US restaurants and the free, takehome, edible gifts they give diners. Anyone know of any? Looking for places the are NOT in NYC, but elsewhere across the country. Love to hear about baking mixes, drink mixes, cookies, breads etc that eateries give you as you leave after dining. If you know of any, love to hear who, what and where!

Thanks.

In Southern California, and places I've visited in this country, in 40-plus years of eating out, I can honestly say I have NEVER, EVER been given a lovely parting gift beyond a matchbook or perhaps a souvenir, commemorative menu. Or a cocktail pick or swizzle stick with the restaurant's name on it.

Certainly never anything edible.

Why on Earth would they give away things that you pay them to consume, and that bring the customer in the door?

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Many high end restaurants do. French Laundry had shortbread cookies. Gary Danko had some pastries that I can't remember. Alex (now closed) had madeleines. Guy Savoy had caramels. Joel Robuchon had banana bread.

I don't know of any now operating with that policy.

Back in the '50s, '60s and early '70s, some of the "Tiki lounges" and restaurants such as The Polynesian - later Latitude 20 on PCH in Torrance, The Warehouse (still in operation, Trader Vic's, Kelbo's and the Albatross out in Malibu would charge what was then exorbitant prices for specialty drinks and you could take the glass or container home.

The Polynesian/Latitude 20 hosted any number of "Island or faux-polynesian music" including Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, Gene Rains, as well as Herb Alpert, etc.

If you took a large group to dinner (8 or more) and spent enough money (no specific notice of this) you might be rewarded with a signed album (LP) when you paid.

My husband and I often took visiting execs there and I have three albums, one Martin Denny, two Arthur Lyman.

Back in the days before the 101 freeway was built, and the western end of Ventura Blvd was a two-lane road with no curbs, no sidewalks, and a "passing" lane in the center, there was an egg/breakfast specialty restaurant near the corner of Ventura and Topanga Canyon blvd on a large wooded lot. It looked like a Victorian building with a wide covered porch or veranda all around it.

With certain meals you got "premium tickets" which could be exchanged for little doo-dads when you paid at the register. (No credit cards in those days.)

There were little syrup pitchers, egg timers and such, with the name of the restaurant.

Sadly, I can't remember the name of the place. We used to stop there on our way to Jungleland in Thousand Oaks.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't know of any now operating with that policy.

Back in the '50s, '60s and early '70s, some of the "Tiki lounges" and restaurants such as The Polynesian - later Latitude 20 on PCH in Torrance, The Warehouse (still in operation, Trader Vic's, Kelbo's and the Albatross out in Malibu would charge what was then exorbitant prices for specialty drinks and you could take the glass or container home.

The Polynesian/Latitude 20 hosted any number of "Island or faux-polynesian music" including Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, Gene Rains, as well as Herb Alpert, etc.

If you took a large group to dinner (8 or more) and spent enough money (no specific notice of this) you might be rewarded with a signed album (LP) when you paid.

My husband and I often took visiting execs there and I have three albums, one Martin Denny, two Arthur Lyman.

Back in the days before the 101 freeway was built, and the western end of Ventura Blvd was a two-lane road with no curbs, no sidewalks, and a "passing" lane in the center, there was an egg/breakfast specialty restaurant near the corner of Ventura and Topanga Canyon blvd on a large wooded lot. It looked like a Victorian building with a wide covered porch or veranda all around it.

With certain meals you got "premium tickets" which could be exchanged for little doo-dads when you paid at the register. (No credit cards in those days.)

There were little syrup pitchers, egg timers and such, with the name of the restaurant.

Sadly, I can't remember the name of the place. We used to stop there on our way to Jungleland in Thousand Oaks.

That sounds like it might have been an 'early version' of a Cracker Barrel Restaurant, and the little goodies have now proliferated into a general store connected to each restaurant. Similar format, upscale-ish breakfasts and some other stuff, like hot roast beef sandwiches, etc. All the restaurants have a covered porch, now with rocking chairs for comfortable waiting to get a table (and wait you will, no matter WHAT time of day or night!) HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

You don't want to know this due to geographical reference, but I'll contribute it anyway:

In a jazz club in New York City, on New Year's Eve, after having heard the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and a short time after Hurricane Katrina, we guests were given large gooey cinnamon rolls to take home for breakfast (a few hours into the future).

I've never forgotten it. I'm sure I paid for a dozen of them in the price of the tickets, but it was so unexpected, and so welcome, that it made an impression.

I just had afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel in British Columbia. I was given a box of their signature house tea, 10 bags, upon departing. I thought that was rather civil of them.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I'm researching an article on US restaurants and the free, takehome, edible gifts they give diners. Anyone know of any? Looking for places the are NOT in NYC, but elsewhere across the country. Love to hear about baking mixes, drink mixes, cookies, breads etc that eateries give you as you leave after dining. If you know of any, love to hear who, what and where!

Thanks.

My restaurant near Charleston, SC. typically sends guests home with a delicious

cake intended for morning coffee. It's a nice touch and costs little to nothing

to make other than a little labor. What better way to seal in the memory of

a great evening.

The only restaurant that I can recall giving anything away, other than pillow shaped mints and mint toothpicks, is Eat 'n' Park that gives children large frosted sugar cookies decorated with a smiley face.