• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Salad Dressings?

Eman57

What kind of fruit?

Don't know - it depends on what looks and tastes good at the market.  However, there will definitely be no citrus and no apples.

... Shel

Don't know - it depends on what looks and tastes good at the market.  However, there will definitely be no citrus and no apples.

And no bananas  :wink:

• Like 1

Yogurt with a touch of honey and cinnamon, and maybe a tiny dash of nutmeg.

<LOL> That's very similar to the dressing I now sometimes use.  Mine's yogurt, honey, vanilla bean, and maybe a scosh of cinnamon.  I like the idea of the nutmeg.

... Shel

Don't know - it depends on what looks and tastes good at the market. However, there will definitely be no citrus and no apples.

Don't ignore the possibility of Valencia oranges. They're in season now. I don't know whether they'd be making their way to your markets, however.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Assuming that you're taking advantage of the stellar stone fruits and berries available in your area right now, I think that adding much in the way of dressing is gilding the lily. A light drizzle of Cointreau, or of good aged balsamic vinegar, wouldn't be amiss. At most I'd use one of the interesting bottled sauces from your local wineries, like Hop Kiln's fig sauce.

Another way to "dress it up" would be to accompany it with some slightly sweetened crunchy pastries, or else serve it in small pastry shells. However, that isn't what you asked about. ;-)

Yes, stone fruits and berries are stellar, right now, and Toots and I would be happy to just enjoy them out of hand.  The dressing would be served on the side, so each can make their own decision.

I like the idea of Cointreau, and I do have a 50+ year old balsamic in the cupboard. 

Nope, no pastries.  Thanks for your input.

... Shel

Don't ignore the possibility of Valencia oranges. They're in season now. I don't know whether there are growers up your way, however.

Citrus is out for this salad, although I like Valencia oranges and they are in at least some of the markets around town.Mostly from Texas, IIRC.

... Shel

That is my stepmother's go-to. She makes it at least weekly.  

I generally do not like a dressed one either, but have enjoyed fruit with a light simple syrup with lime or lemon zest and fresh ginger juice. Just enough to provide a touch of contrast and a spark.

I might have to steal that. Thanks, Heidi.

What about baked fruit salad?  The only thing added to the fruit is a  handful of grated white chocolate before it is baked at 200 C  about 10 minutes and it is served with icecream

No, not even close.  With all the exquisite fresh fruit around here, baking seems like the wrong direction to go, as does adding chocolate and ice cream.

... Shel

Depending on the fruit equal parts rum, lime juice and honey. If alcohol is an issue then orange juice and some artificial rum flavoring. My favorite remains a splash of Grand Marnier.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No, not even close.  With all the exquisite fresh fruit around here, baking seems like the wrong direction to go, as does adding chocolate and ice cream.

One of the recipes that Marcella Hazan provides in "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" has you slice strawberries and macerate them in a mixture of freshly squeezed orange juice and a scant teaspoon of sugar.

It doesn't have to be citrus in this instance, keeping in mind your comment above, but that's an idea. The resulting liquid once you're able to serve the salad satisfies the need for a dressing and keeps things "light".

• Like 1

One of the recipes that Marcella Hazan provides in "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" has you slice strawberries and macerate them in a mixture of freshly squeezed orange juice and a scant teaspoon of sugar.

It doesn't have to be citrus in this instance, keeping in mind your comment above, but that's an idea. The resulting liquid once you're able to serve the salad satisfies the need for a dressing and keeps things "light".

An idea worth thinking about.  Thanks!!

... Shel

This is a very old recipe used to dress fruit:

3 egg yolks

2 T sugar

1/4 tea salt (and a little white pepper if you want)

1/2 tea dry  mustard

1/2 c cider vinegar

2 tea butter

1/2 c heavy cream

Beat egg yolks with dry ingredients.  Heat vinegar and butter; mix everything together in double boiler until thickened. Set aside to cool. Just before serving, whip the heavy cream and fold into the dressing.

• Like 1

This is a very old recipe used to dress fruit:

3 egg yolks

2 T sugar

1/4 tea salt (and a little white pepper if you want)

1/2 tea dry  mustard

1/2 c cider vinegar

2 tea butter

1/2 c heavy cream

Beat egg yolks with dry ingredients.  Heat vinegar and butter; mix everything together in double boiler until thickened. Set aside to cool. Just before serving, whip the heavy cream and fold into the dressing.

My dad always made that for the fruit salad that he made for Thanksgiving and Christmas, except there would have been no mustard or pepper and the vinegar would have been canned pineapple juice (drained from the pineapple chunks going into the salad).  It is quite delicious.

A related but slightly lighter dressing would be a zabaglione -- varying the wines/flavorings to reflect what's in the salad.  Zabaglione used to be really popular but it has fallen out of favor, a shame as it's easy, delicious and a little special. 

I also really like a fruit salad dressing I found in a Saudi cookbook that is a honey syrup infused with cardamom and lemon zest -- truly outstanding.  If you toss the fruits ahead of time in the dressing and keep cool, they become infused with the spice/honey mixture themselves.  Swoon worthy. 

• Like 1

Being someone who is lactose intolerant, I would object to taking a dessert that I could eat and turning it into something I couldn't by adding a dairy-based dressing.  At least serve it on the side!  Not that Shel has invited me!   :hmmm:

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Being someone who is lactose intolerant, I would object to taking a dessert that I could eat and turning it into something I couldn't by adding a dairy-based dressing.  At least serve it on the side!  Not that Shel has invited me!   :hmmm:

So rant over, I'd follow Liuzhou's lead and make a port wine, fruit compote (I'd use cherry) and balsamic reduction.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs