• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Salad Dressings?

Eman57

So i recently had a request for fruit salad dressing and, it occured to me i have never seen any before, wondering if anyone had any experience with them and could share some tips. I was thinking along the lines of a vinaigrette....

The first thing which comes to my mind is a sauce made from yoghurt, some fruit liqueur, fruity jam, a bit of sugar if necessary depending upon how sweet you like things... We often use this where whipping cream is called for.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Poppyseed is a good option, that and the fruit juice based boiled salad dressings. My 1951 Joy of Cooking has three recipes that are all decent and give guidance on using your choice of all juice or adding a little or a lot of cream. -These are like some coleslaw dressings, similar to Marie's, but, obviously better tasting.

Another option would be a fruit coulis of a contrasting flavor.

So i recently had a request for fruit salad dressing and, it occured to me i have never seen any before, wondering if anyone had any experience with them and could share some tips. I was thinking along the lines of a vinaigrette....

When I hear fruit salad dressing, I think of the old fashioned boiled dressing like this one from Gisslen. If you've never tried it, the fruit salad dressing is really pretty good.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2579

In a more modern direction I made a burnt honey lillet dressing for some Tuscan melons I had, which was more or less a caramelized honey gastrique with lillet in place of the vinegar.

In case you are interested in an ambrosia-style dressing, filipino-style fruit salad usually just combines cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk although I think my mom would sometimes add sour cream.

Otherwise, papaya seed dressing might be nice: a basic vinaigrette with a bit of sugar and blended with papaya seeds.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

OK, now that I know what's being dressed, I like that old standby, vanilla yogurt. Done properly (with Greek yogurt as the base), it's equal parts sweet and tangy, and the creaminess complements the fruit well.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

When I hear fruit salad dressing, I think of the old fashioned boiled dressing like this one from Gisslen. If you've never tried it, the fruit salad dressing is really pretty good.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2579

That's very much like the special occasion fruit salad dressing my dad used to make, although he didn't add the sour cream. It was basically a zabaglione made with canned pineapple juice (of course!) instead of Marsala. It made a really delicious and festive fruit salad, albeit a bit rich. But that was the point!

I recently tried a wonderful fruit salad dressing, made from honey warmed with cardamom, then thinned with lime juice. Used it on a salad of oranges, honeydew melon and pomegranate. Really good.

I've had some delicious syrups over fruit salad - on watermelon, a simple syrup simmered with plenty of julienned fresh mint and finished with a slosh of white rum is great.

And I made a vanilla chili syrup for a lime cheesecake that I bet would also be great on fruit salad. Again, a simple syrup, but this time some finely diced (or rings) of chili and a vanilla bean - it's fragrant, warming with a good kick at the end.

I think with most fruit salads, especially if they contain citrus or pineapple, a vinaigrette would be too acidic. I'd go for, and do prefer, the creamy, slightly sweetish ones to offer a counter note.

My favorite is sour cream or Greek yogurt mixed with some brown sugar, or turbinado sugar. Some mint is nice, especially if you have melons in the fruit mix. A little, little touch of lime juice is good too.

Ditto on the old fashioned boiled dressings and on creamy poppy seed dressings. They play very well with fruit.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

The dressing from this recipe is awesome.

I think the tiny bit of almond extract is the secret to how delicious this is, especially if you're including strawberries. I took this salad to a picnic on Saturday, and tons of people asked me for the recipe.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

• 3 years later...

On the 19th a few people are coming to dinner, and for dessert I want to make a fruit salad.  I usually eat my fruit salad plain - actually, Toots and I rarely eat fruit salad, rather, we just eat a few pieces of fresh fruit - so I don't have many ideas for a fruit salad dressing - just one, actually.  And the one I have, although quite good, was given to me by one of the dinner guests, so I'd like something different.  Any ideas for dressing a fruit salad - nothing too sweet or loaded up with sugar?  Thanks!

... Shel

What about baked fruit salad?  The only thing added to the fruit is a  handful of grated white chocolate before it is baked at 200 C  about 10 minutes and it is served with icecream

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Yogurt with a touch of honey and cinnamon, and maybe a tiny dash of nutmeg.

That is my stepmother's go-to. She makes it at least weekly.  

I generally do not like a dressed one either, but have enjoyed fruit with a light simple syrup with lime or lemon zest and fresh ginger juice. Just enough to provide a touch of contrast and a spark. 

• Like 2

Like heidih, I'd like to know what kind of fruit. It makes a difference.

Assuming that you're taking advantage of the stellar stone fruits and berries available in your area right now, I think that adding much in the way of dressing is gilding the lily. A light drizzle of Cointreau, or of good aged balsamic vinegar, wouldn't be amiss. At most I'd use one of the interesting bottled sauces from your local wineries, like Hop Kiln's fig sauce.

Another way to "dress it up" would be to accompany it with some slightly sweetened crunchy pastries, or else serve it in small pastry shells. However, that isn't what you asked about. ;-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown