• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy habanero chilis in NYC?

You can't get them in standard grocery stores? They're in the produce section of just about every grocery around here (Michigan) and we're hardly a hotbed of Mexican/spicy food. In fact, I always wonder who the heck buys them. Someone must, because they're really common.

Edited by abadoozy (log)

You can't get them in standard grocery stores? They're in the produce section of just about every grocery around here (Michigan) and we're hardly a hotbed of Mexican/spicy food. In fact, I always wonder who the heck buys them. Someone must, because they're really common.

I was wondering the same thing, I can get them by the pound at the standard groceries here in Indiana, but the local Mexican grocery surprisingly doesn't have them fresh.

They're definitely around in normal grocery stores - I've gotten them at fairway up in harlem and the UWS west side market. As a last resort, swing out to crown heights and you're guaranteed to find them in the produce stores on every block!

Best tamales I ever had were off a street truck in Hope.

Habaneros are one of the most common fresh chilis to find in NYC - after Jalapenos... you really shouldn't have to go toa specialty market for them. Even the ridiculously crappy Food Emporium in my neighborhood has them. Fresh Direct has them also. Whole Foods always has them also...