• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greatest snack crisps of all time

Fat Guy

Back when I could actually drink Coke (NOT diet), a can or better yet, a real bottle of coke and a pack of Nabs cheese and peanut butter crackers was a little taste of greatness! I also really like the Captain's Wafers and Cream Cheese "sandwiches" that Lance sells. Again, need either a Coke or Pepsi to go with. Also the cheese flavored waffle style crackers sandwiched with nippy ( to a kid ) cheese. I CANNOT, for the life of me, remember the name of those things, but I loved them! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Pop chips are delicious but I find it too easy to polish off the bag.

Interesting -- one of the things that make Pop Chips a good choice for me is that I don't find it difficult to eat just a few. While I find Cheetos, Munchos and Fritos much better, they're way too easy to overdo for me, which is why I buy them rarely.

California brand Earthquake potato chips, something like an everything bagel. Thin, crunchy, tasty. Sadly not easy to find.

And in Germany, just about any chip you can find in any store, especially paprika ones. None of the thick cut stuff you get here, nice, thin, melt against the top of your mouth with a neat crunch, the way I like it. Unfortunately here in the US the trend seem to be thick cut, crinkle cut, what not, very thin ones are hard to find.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

the ones I had were not very fishy, but I did not care for them much. They're not bad, and I eat them if they are out somewhere, but don't buy them myself.

I do like the Japanese rice cracker things, often come as an assortment of different kinds, with a sweet/salty coating.

Oh, an other thing I love are the peanut butter filled pretzel stick things from Trader Joe's, a great combination of flavors and nice and crunchy.

Also love corn puffs (or worms? Not sure what they are called here) but prefer the ones from Germany again, smaller and tastier to me.

And pretzel sticks.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Very intrigued by the shrimp chips. How fishy are we talking about?

Not very fishy - just a hint of dry shrimp. They are baked and quite light. There is another style I have not purchased in a while, and whose brand name I do not recall, that is more intense. They are imperfectly round and perhaps a 32nd inch thick. Perhaps someone else knows what I am referring to?

Oh, an other thing I love are the peanut butter filled pretzel stick things from Trader Joe's, a great combination of flavors and nice and crunchy. ...

Combos!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 4 weeks later...

Very intrigued by the shrimp chips. How fishy are we talking about?

Not very fishy - just a hint of dry shrimp. They are baked and quite light. There is another style I have not purchased in a while, and whose brand name I do not recall, that is more intense. They are imperfectly round and perhaps a 32nd inch thick. Perhaps someone else knows what I am referring to?

Uncooked krupuk, I think; they puff up when you cook them. I didn't know you could eat them uncooked!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org