• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greatest snack crisps of all time

Fat Guy

What's your vote for greatest snack crisp? I think Munchos. Second place in my book goes to Funyuns.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If you like Funyuns, you should try Tim's Cascade Maui Onion Rings. Unfortunately, I think they're only available in the Northwest. But they put Funyuns to shame.

I'm also a fan of Munchos, but since joining Weight Watchers I've come to appreciate Pop Chips as a decent lower-calorie option.

I used to really like Munch-ems when growing up. We went on a cross-country trip right about when the salsa flavor, my favorite, was discontinued, so I had my parents stopping in the smaller grocery stores buying up their old remaining stock.

What qualifies as "snack crisps"? Is this anything in the chips aisle that isn't a pretzel, potato chip or corn/tortilla chip? I don't eat any of that stuff other than plain tortilla chips as a carrier for salsas, occasional pretzels and, recently, the habanero Doritos so I don't think I eat anything that qualifies. I remember liking Pringles Cheese-ums when I was younger if they count... but I haven't had them in a really long time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

What's your vote for greatest snack crisp? I think Munchos. Second place in my book goes to Funyuns.

I agree complely and am so happy Munchos are more easily available again. For a short time back in the late seventies, there was a very similar crisp out that was similar to both. I can't remember what the name was, but it was a little closer in look and texture to a Funyon, but shaped likehe outline of a star. Same potato flavor as Munchos, and just as salty. So good.

Haven't craved those in thirty years! Thanks Steve,

Funyuns are sorta crunchy, puffy corn-based rings flavoured with onion. I personally find them kind of noxious, but other people love them.

My fave crisps are called Tornaditos (little tornadoes), which are vaguely tornado-shaped cruncy corn crisps covered in a rather alarming orange cheese powder. After that, I want Banchis Piquante, which are deep-fried thin slices of plantain rolled in spicy panela and aji pepper powder.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

JAZ, I'm with you on the Pop Chips, specifically the BBQ. To me, part of what makes a great snack crisp is that I can gorge myself on them without a) feeling guilty or b) feeling gross. BBQ pop chips achieve that, while still being delicious enough that I *want* to eat the whole bag...

in the U.S : are 'crisps' a processed potato or veg. paste that then is shaped into a thin 'chip'

where a 'chip' is a thin slice of a potato or veg thats then fried or baked?

I a fan of Terra Chips or Trader Jose's equivalent brand. beets are good as so are parsnips.

bugles! of course! my mother who didnt really like to cook made clam dip for thanksgiving and christmas.

we had bugles for the scoopy-ness.

also thick fritos are also good with clam dip.

Steve, are corn based snacks considered crisps too? It hadn't occured to me for some reason that they could- is it extrusion that makes it so?

If so, I think Dipsy Doodles deserve a shout out. Peppery and deeply ridged, they are a long time favorite. Somehow Fritos taste bland and stale in comparison. The ridges help you scrape as little or as much dip as you want, and believe it or not -they are amazing with vanilla ice cream. They seemed to disappear from the NY marketplace for a long time, and I am grateful that they too are widely available again.

Munchos are potato based, crispy, thin and semi translucent. Their entire surface is covered fairly evenly with little bubbles. Funyons have a lot of air too, but are a bit less coarse in texture and have a mild onion flavor. Munchos come in a bright orange metallic bag, and are excellent crushed and eaten like cereal. I did sometime fool my Mom at breakfast with that trick.

Well if extruded potato paste counts, then I feel like Pringles have to win. Deeply addictive. I remember going out and buying a bag of Munchos after reading about them here and thinking that they just didn't hold a candle to Pringles...

Pop chips are delicious but I find it too easy to polish off the bag. Afterwards I do tend to feel a little bloated I envision the dehydrated potato puffing up in my tummy.

I love Hot Fries, corn based crispy snacks shaped like "fries' and coated in some chili powder-esque flavoring. They also come in other flavors cheddar and chili cheese. I tend to like the brand

Andy Capps

In lower Delaware they make a thing called a Frito Pie that's sold at HS sporting events. One takes a small bag of Fritos and opens it from the bottom (where all the crumbs and powdered seasoning have settled. I'm told that this is important). A generous dollop of chili +/- liquid cheese is added and the thing is eaten with a fork, or messily by hand.

I have no idea what it tastes like.

I have to go Plus One on the Pringles. They're so wrong, and so bad, and yet....so, so good and I am so, so unable to stop eating them once I've opened a tube.

P&G also used to make a pulped, pressed and formed tortilla chip about 7 or 8 years ago that came in a similar tube, albeit, triangle-shaped. I think they were called "Torengos"??? They tasted NOTHING at all like real tortilla chips, much like Pringles are related to real potato chips, but damn, they were good. Very salty, but good.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

The now departed Kettle chilli chips (they've been replaced with chilli and, er, sour cream? double cream? ice cream?). There's something about Pringles, too. Followed by the crispy duck tongues I had at Vue de Monde--if I could get those salted in a big bag, ideally with a case of good ale, I'd be the happiest man in the southern hemisphere.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between