• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious cleaning of enameled cookware

Fat Guy

5 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Well, my pot looked pretty spectacular after heating up a lye solution for pretzels. I don’t know why your brewery wash is a last resort, I think it’s a good option, but if you have lye around from other projects it will do the trick.

No lye in house.  In the other Le Creuset cleaning thread @fifi said caustics will likely etch the enamel.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/79752-did-i-ruin-my-le-creuset-pan/?do=findComment&comment=1082498

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ashamed for why I have come here.  Thick sugary burned carnitas in 24 cm Le Creuset.  Not funny enough for "I will never again".

Have there been any advances in cleaning technology?  I am about to order up a tub of Powdered Brewery Wash as a last resort.

Try filling it with water to above the burned-on level (if just on the bottom, do 2-3 inches), adding a healthy squirt of dishwasher liquid (or toss in a pod, if you use those) and bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour or so. I cleaned one that way.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

After an overnight soak with Powdered Brewery Wash my Le Creuset came clean.  I am a believer.

good to know, I’m sure I"ll need it someday.

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

After an overnight soak with Powdered Brewery Wash my Le Creuset came clean.  I am a believer.

How much of the stuff did you have to buy?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

How much of the stuff did you have to buy?

A pound for $10.50.

Edit:  from amazon.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I also find boiling water with baking soda for about 30 minutes (or boiling water with vinegar for that matter) does a great job of cleaning just about everything off of stainless steel - I'd imagine it would do just as well for enameled cast iron.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a Le Creuset that I thought was permanently discolored from cooking black beans.  I finally got around to giving it an overnight soak in PBW and it looks amazing!  

• Like 2