• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lettuce -- beyond salads and sandwiches

LindaK

Thanks to the long, cool spring in this part of the world, the lettuce in my garden is thriving. My daily salad isn't coming close to using it up, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what else to do with it other than use it in a sandwich or as a garnish.

I assume folks here can enlighten me. What else do you do with lettuce?

I haven't gotten to it yet, but one of the dishes on my "in the coming weeks I need to cook" list is Sauteed Spring Lettuce with English Peas.

A wrap for bulgogi, larb, tabouli, etc.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Make a big ol' batch of wilted lettuce, Southern style!

Tear up a big bunch of lettuce in a heat safe bowl (about double what you think you might need)

Add some very thin Vidalia onion rings or a big pile of chopped green onions

Fry up 4-6 pieces of bacon and crumble it. Leave 2-3 T of the drippings in the skillet.

Mix 1/4 c or so of cider vinegar in a cup of water with some salt and pepper and a couple teaspoons of sugar. (I just mix it up and taste it... you want to taste the vinegar and you want it slightly sweet.

Heat up the bacon grease and then pour in the water/cider mix. Bring to a rip-roaring boil.

Pour it over the lettuce and lay the skillet over the top of the bowl. You want to really let it WILT.

Eat immediately with cornbread and whatever hunk-o-meat you had on the grill.

Taste of childhood for me! Best part is dunking the cornbread in the "likker" from the lettuce.

Pam

I'm not sure what types of lettuce you have, but this recipe from the NY Times is a very good, if somewhat fussy, way to use up romaine. (I'm not a fan of Alex Wichtel's writing, so I suggest you skip the essay and scroll down to the recipe.)

It's a sort of deconstructed warm Caesar salad. I make a simplified version with either quail or half a Cornish game hen, because I can't find poussins where I live.

I often throw lettuce, any kind of lettuce into Asian noodle soups: ramen, shrimp noodle, etc, in place of bok choy or yu choy. I use entire leaves so they don't "melt" away.

There's always lettuce wraps - for larb, or with stir-fried ground / diced meats, various diced crunchy vegetables, some fermented black soy beans, a dash of hoisin sauce.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

These ideas all sound delicious. I always thought lettuce was too delicate to cook as one would any other green. Evidently I was wrong.

btw, I'm growing a baby romaine and a butterhead, the latter a very pretty heirloom called "Merveille de Quatre Saisons" which is a variegated pale green-->rosy red-->bronze color. I imagine the colors get muddled when cooked.

Julia Child has a recipe in her Opus for braised lettuce. I'm too lazy to go downstairs to get the book. . . . :smile: Sorry.

I've made lettuce soups using different concentrations of chicken stock and was really surprised by how well it turned out. Braising in butter was key for my pallet in getting the flavors right.

This recipe from Two Fat Ladies is an all-time favorite.

Peas and Lettuce in Cream

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Last night I made a quick soup with lettuce and good homemade chicken stock. Followed advice and gave it a quick saute in butter first. The soup was delicious, but the red color of some of the lettuce turned the broth a rather unattractive purple color. Is there a way to stop this, or should I use only green lettuce?

I read this recipe years ago....ashamed to say I never tried it.

Lettuce Soup with Pickled Eggplant

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pickled-eggplant-and-summer-lettuce-soup

That should have been the same issue that Grant Achatz was named one of the Best New Chefs or whatever. I think I was 17 at the time and I only remember two recipes from that issue; his shrimp and watermelon and their lettuce soup.

How time flies.

That recipe looks fantastic. I love the idea of a chilled puree of lettuce soup. I may try it first without the ricotta and eggplant garnishes, but I'll bet those additions really make it.