• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need KILLER slow cooker recipe with beef

SpaghettiWestern

Today at goodwill i found an OLD ( and i mean OLD) crockpot from the 70's .... new in box that someone must have gotten for a wedding present and never used. 3 1/2 quarts in harvest gold. its JUST lovely. lol

anyway..... i am visiting my mom and i would LOVE to impress her with something REALLY tasty. she loves a good beef recipe. has anyone got a really great recipe using wine or beer as the marinade for cooking the beef? a nice rich sauce that so good you cant stop eating it is what i am looking for.

she does love french food ALOT.

if you have something you love to make..... please share it with me.

Thanks SO much.

I'll assume "OLD" doesn't also refer to those of us who were alive and cookin' in the 70s. :hmmm:

I'll also assume you've checked, or will check, that the cooker still works appropriately

Beth Hensperger, in Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two, has a couple of extremely simple recipes for 3# of short ribs cooked in wine. In both, you cut the ribs into serving pieces of 3-4 ribs; stack the ribs if it's a round cooker (I assume yours is); pour the sauce over the ribs; cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours; remove the ribs then cool and de-fat the sauce; then just before serving, reheat the ribs in the sauce in a 300°F oven.

For the sauce, one recipe calls for:

8-oz can tomato sauce

2/3 c red wine, preferably Zinfandel

1 large shallot, finely chopped

2½ T balsamic vinegar

1 T Dijon mustard

4 drops hot sauce, e.g., Tabasco

½ t salt

The other uses:

1 c Cabernet Sauvignon

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2/3 c coarsely chopped dried apricots

1½ T Dijon mustard

1 t salt

Of course, you can tweak these recipes however you like.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I second the short ribs.

I would substitute a light-bodied merlot for the zin. Not as many tannins to concentrate.

PS -- The pyramids are OLD. (And I mean OLD.) The 70s is the decade that brought us the good music.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

One way to assure success in a slow cooker is to get the best kind of beef for crock pot cooking. This one is very good and makes a lot of au just.

BRAISED (SLOW COOKED) BRISKET

3-5 lbs. FRESH BRISKET, BROWNED IN OLIVE OIL

3 CLOVES GARLIC, PEELED AND MINCED

1 ONION , PEELED, RINGED

1/2 BOTTLE SOY SAUCE

6 oz. BEER PLUS 6 oz. WATER

3 CARROTS, PEELED, CUT 1/2 INCH

2 STALKS CELERY, CUT UP

1 T. FRESH GROUND BLACK PEPPER

1 BAY LEAF

1/2 TSP THYME

PLACE IN SLOW COOKER, BRING TO BOIL, SIMMER, COVERED 3-6 HOURS.

This Balsamic & Onion Pot Roast recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen is great and I make it often. That is saying a lot since I usually don't have the attention span to make anything more than once. The prep is simple, the resulting meat tender and the sauce wonderfully flavorful.

I usually use a top round, since I find it on sale a lot, and I haven never used a steak rub in this recipe.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

HAHAHAHA ! yeah ! i mean an OLD crock pot because they came out in the 70's and they are not the newer versions.

i'm addicted to crock pots and this old one is just lovely.

i was alive in the 70's and that was the best decade ! but it does seem old to me. hell i seem old to me.

thanks for the recipies..... my mom has never cooked with a crock pot and i really want to show her how wonderful they are. this old pot is clean and ready to go.

thanks for your suggestions !