• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When Children Cook - The Joy of Yum

ckamom

My oldest child, 12 years old, is a very high achiever. She has a black belt in tae kwon do, holds the state championship in weapons and form. She has been ranked fourth in the world in the weapon category. Academically, in all AP courses and holding a straight A average in a very competitive school district. She has played softball in an all star level, ran track in the uppper middle, ran charity marathons.. etc. Also first year wind ensemble.

Yesterday we ran out of vanilla ice cream, so instead of making it myself I decided to show her how easy it is to make it. She made the BEST ice cream our family has ever had.

Every one of her previous victories have been so-so for her, but the only time I have ever seen her BEAM, is after watching the yum faces of the other four of us eating her ice cream.

Moral of the story...FOOOD RULES.

I will never forget leaving my young son home alone and asking him to make the "pear bunny" salad in the Betty Crocker Boys and Girls cookbook. He walked to the store and bought the ingredients, prepped the salad and then invited his grandparents over to eat it. It is essentially canned pear halves on lettuce with cottage cheese as the fluffy tail and whatever you have to make the eyes, nose and whiskers. He was indeed beaming when I got home. (the fact that the GPs did not take a photo still ticks me off).

A while later I handed him Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol 2 and asked him to make a baguette. He does not care for crusty bread but he sure approved of his result. Family members over for a holiday were oohing and aahing as well.

Cooking, its a good thing :wink:

Awesome stories. Great to have accomplishments that bring pleasure to others as well.

We were treated to homemade cherry - orange juice. Same great beam as we all asked for seconds.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.