• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do I do with this whole pickled herring?

Kat Tanaka Okopnik

I just received a whole pickled herring. (As a substitute for a dozen Oreo cookies. Yes, you should boggle.)

I love pickled herring, but I've never encountered it 'en situ', as it were.

I have the "what to eat with it" part handled. (I'll be making bagels tomorrow.)

What's the right thing to do with this? Cut across the spine, into mini-steaks? Filets

Help me, eGulleteers, you're my only hope!

Cut it into the sorts of pieces you'd like to find on your bagels! Even if there are general rules, and you somehow transgress them, I doubt anyone will break down your door, and haul you off to a forced labour camp with lousy food :wink:. Mini filets sound about right, though, it's how I've pretty much always seen it, packaged in shops.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have found that it's simple so soft that all I have to do is pierce the skin appropriately and peel it off the bone.

It is, indeed delicious, and I have switched from bagels to Japanese rice with crisp nori.

However, now I am eyeing what I presume is a fat liver, and wondering if I can eat that.