• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaki Fruit

Deus Mortus

Today I was walking through my neighbourhood grocery store and among the fruit I saw something I had never even heard of, a kaki fruit. Now a quick search found out that they taste somewhat like figs and can be eaten fresh, outside of that I have no idea what to do with it, considering it is a rather firm fruit, I would think poaching it with some aromatics might be nice, but then again, it might utterly destroy the fruit. So here is my question to you, what to do with it?

83630.jpg

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Heidi is correct -- it's a persimmon.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Ah so that's a persimmon, I had heard the word before but never seen a picture of one, I just ate one raw and it was really good, guess I'll go get some more tomorrow and try to make a pudding with them, or maybe a tarte. Either way, thanks for the help Joe and Heidi.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Specifically, its a Fuyu persimmon, which can be eaten while firm.

The bigger heartshaped fruit needs to be completely mushy to be tolerable or pleasant eating.

I've made pie with Fuyus. It didnt need sugar,and I tried to spice to match the slightly spicy taste the fruit has on its own.

They also make good puree, along the lines of an apple sauce, but smoother and sweeter.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Kaki is the Japanese word for persimmon. They are a wonderful fruit and I prefer to just eat them raw, but I have poached them with great success.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"